Old 07-26-2005, 09:45 AM

can someone clear up the confusion i am having trying to figure out the interchangability ?

i have a 1962 389 in a old ford 5-window and need a flywheel for it. i was told this engine is internally ballanced and the flywheel is externally ballanced. i need a stick shift flywheel for my application, can anybody out there help me out ? can i use one from any other year without getting into a vibration issue

i saved the flywheel from the slim jim auto trans , could i buy a aftermarket shaefer and have it ballanced to match the auto that came off the engine. i will stop thinking now and start listening to you !

thanks in advance
Russ

Old 07-26-2005, 10:08 AM
Senior Chief

The flywheel for your engine is zero balanced so it has really nothing to do with the engine balance as long as it and the pressure plate are balanced by themselves.An aftermarket flywheel should bolt up.

Old 07-26-2005, 01:13 PM

that is some good info white warrior, opens up more high performance options for my application ! my car is light , so i can utilize a aluminum race job if i wanted.

thanks
Russ