Non Pontiac Motors in Pontiacs includes factory 403,305,350 Chevy, Buick V6,
Also Pontiac Motors in non-Pontiacs!

Old 01-03-2001, 10:47 AM

I am in the process of installing a Chev small block in a 72 LeMans. (I bought it with no motor and I have a fresh 327 with lots of go fast goodies)

Will Chevelle motor mounts and frame brackets work? Will the clutch shaft line up?

A local parts supplier (Canadian Tire) lists the 72 LeMans 350 as having either an orange (Chevy) or blue (Pontiac) engine. Does anyone know if they actually came with chevy engines? Is this possibly a Canada only thing?

Thanks (eh!)

dave

Old 01-03-2001, 10:47 AM

I am in the process of installing a Chev small block in a 72 LeMans. (I bought it with no motor and I have a fresh 327 with lots of go fast goodies)

Will Chevelle motor mounts and frame brackets work? Will the clutch shaft line up?

A local parts supplier (Canadian Tire) lists the 72 LeMans 350 as having either an orange (Chevy) or blue (Pontiac) engine. Does anyone know if they actually came with chevy engines? Is this possibly a Canada only thing?

Thanks (eh!)

dave

Old 01-03-2001, 05:40 PM
Bonker's-T-Cat Moderator

Well,
The chevy will work just fine. But, you must use all chevy parts. These include the motor mounts, frame brackets, bellhousing. Basically you are building a Chevelle with a Pontiac skin. The clutch rod and z-bar are the same as Pontiac. You will also have to change or modify the wireing harness for the chevy engine. Better yet get one from a Chevelle. Remember that Chevys have things in different places.

------------------
Gatomon
A car is cheaper than a girlfriend. Better than a wife. If it gives you trouble you can park it and forget about it!

Old 07-09-2002, 01:15 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Any more info on this. I am doing a 550 HP 377 c.i. in my 72.

Heart Of Illinois GTO club member

"This aint no damn Chevelle"

Old 07-10-2002, 02:45 AM
Bonker's-T-Cat Moderator

What do you need to know? That is my question?

Old 07-11-2002, 12:12 AM

blackcat, isn't the z-bar different in the pontiac? if i remember correctly didn't 68-72 pontiac a-body use the 2-piece unit and the chevy used the conventional 1 piece z-bar? mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 07-12-2002, 07:48 AM

As an update, I did get the 327 inand running. I bought Chevelle motor mounts and everything fit in the right place using the stock holes in the frame. My biggest problem was that I has used older double hump heads when I built the motor and I did not have a hole to mount the alternator. With a bit of tinkering I ended up with a machined piece that looks like it belongs.

I did not have to replace the wiring harness but I did split it and re tape it so it would reach the starter. I also needed a longer cable from the battery to the starter.

As for the clutch etc it looked like everything was going to fit however it turned out that my muncie needed some work so I converted (back) to an automatic which I had (the car was originally an automatic and it had been converted to a 4 speed car).

For the purists out there, apparently the Canadian Pontiacs did come with a chevy 350. However, my car is a convertible which all were built in the USA so mine should have had a Pontiac 350 in it.

It is a great car and it goes pretty good with the 340 hp or so. I must say that a disk brake conversion would be high on my list of priorities if I start driving this hard as the drums are borderline.

dave

Old 07-13-2002, 11:10 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

So all I would really need is chevelle mounts and a longer battery cable?

Old 07-15-2002, 09:43 AM

Yep...

Everything else seemed to work fine and things seem to line up fine. It was nice to be able to do this without having to butcher things or spend a lot of $$$ . (This is just a driver for me)

I am not sure if I should maybe have had a spacer to move my fan forward as it is only about 1/3 into the shroud. I have the chevy long nose waterpump. I have not had an overheating problem but the rad is a heavy duty one as the previous owner had a big block in the car.

I also had to move the transmission crosmember a few bolt holes as I used a chevey turbo 350. I am not sure what tranny you have but I understand you need an adapter to fit a chevey to a pontiac transmission. The frame had piles of holes so it is very easy just to bolt the crosmember on the tranny and pick which holes work...If I was racing this car I would get a longer driveshaft as it ened up out of the transmission about 3/4 of an ince more than it was..The drive shaft had been shortened so I am not sure what you may end up with. Again this is not a big deal..

Good luck.

dave

Old 07-15-2002, 02:49 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Ok, thanks for the info. I'll let everyone know how it went.

Old 06-13-2003, 08:15 PM

Thanks for the info I am from Canada as well and have a 350 chevy in a 71 Lemans I recently purchased. I have not started working on it yet. BUT GOOD INFO
THANKS