Old 05-06-2004, 10:47 PM

I just bought a 1980 Turbo TA NASCAR/INDY model Trans Am. It has 90k original miles and appears to run strong. It's an original Arizona car - I paid $5500 for it and it could use a gradual restore to get it back to top condition. Paint is faded, interior is good. Been stored off and on - Was wondering if this is a good find and worth the restore. Guy I got it from says that it's all original - Turbo, Engine - etc.

Seeing as I am new to this site - any suggestions or opinions would be valued. Also, this is my first TA - what are things I need to look out for or be aware of.

Thanks!

Old 05-06-2004, 10:47 PM

I just bought a 1980 Turbo TA NASCAR/INDY model Trans Am. It has 90k original miles and appears to run strong. It's an original Arizona car - I paid $5500 for it and it could use a gradual restore to get it back to top condition. Paint is faded, interior is good. Been stored off and on - Was wondering if this is a good find and worth the restore. Guy I got it from says that it's all original - Turbo, Engine - etc.

Seeing as I am new to this site - any suggestions or opinions would be valued. Also, this is my first TA - what are things I need to look out for or be aware of.

Thanks!

Old 05-07-2004, 05:07 AM

Welcome to the forums!

Sounds like a nice car. If it's got an Arizona rust-free body you've got a good platform for a restoration and in my opinion is "worth the restore". Can you post some pictures?

Old 05-07-2004, 09:18 AM

I appreciate the warm welcome Poncho!! I decided on this car because I like the style of the older TA's.
It will be used as my daily driver - basically as a second vehicle.
Is it unusual to have the original engine and turbo with the car? When I have been looking, many of the Turbo TA's I have found have a different 4.9 and Turbo than it was built with.
As I said earlier, this would be the first TA let alone Turbo I have owned. Any things y'all can offer as help or suggestions would be appreciated!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by poncho455:
Welcome to the forums!

Sounds like a nice car. If it's got an Arizona rust-free body you've got a good platform for a restoration and in my opinion is "worth the restore". Can you post some pictures? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Old 05-08-2004, 09:49 AM

Well, unfortunately, the guy gave me back my deposit when I went to pick up the car. I guess someone wanted it more than I did and had more money than I could spend. DAMN! GRRRRRR - Ok, but still going to look at a '77 TA with a 403 and 55k original miles (it is a car from Cali.) and another early 1980 Turbo that is not a numbers matching car.
I will keep y'all posted!

Old 05-08-2004, 06:17 PM
Senior Chief

That's just WRONG!! FK'EM. He took your money in good faith to hold the car and then turns around because he's F'n greedy. Oh, man. I'm pissed and I'm not even involved.

Time to go get a beer
David

My 79 400 4 speed Formula

either get busy living or get busy dying
Old 05-08-2004, 07:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to takid455

i have owned both turbo ta's, 400, 403 and 455 ta's. my suggestion would go for the non turbo cars as they have more umph, something i like. teh turbo seemed to run hot when on teh highway doing around 85. the other engines run just fine.

Build: http://www.pro-touring.com/showthrea...1978+g+machine
1999 30th Trans Am 6 spd, T top
Old 05-09-2004, 09:37 AM

Don't sweat it AZ80Turbo - it was fate! It just means there's something better that will come along. Good luck.