Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 04-08-2004, 01:50 PM

Never done this before - so I'm looking for help. I need to rebuild a master cyl and power brake booster for my '66 LeMans. Can I just buy a kit? What gets replaced?

Also - on the booster - the outside is pretty rusted - I was going to sand or blast - what should I paint it with (just a driver)?

Old 04-08-2004, 01:50 PM

Never done this before - so I'm looking for help. I need to rebuild a master cyl and power brake booster for my '66 LeMans. Can I just buy a kit? What gets replaced?

Also - on the booster - the outside is pretty rusted - I was going to sand or blast - what should I paint it with (just a driver)?

Old 04-08-2004, 02:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

NAPA will have a kit for the master. Simple as a snap ring, 2 cups and some O-rings. As for the booster, rebuilding them is not hard. It's getting them apart that's a b!tch. If it's really rusty, maybe you ought to just get a new one.

462 cid/ 6x-4/ TH400/ 3.36:1/ 28x10.5/ 3880#/ 12.35 @ 109.36/ 1.69 60 ft/ 4 wheel disc brakes/ 15 mpg
Old 04-08-2004, 03:45 PM

Thanks - I'll pick one up. Is it just a kit for the booster? What's that entail? Same . . . simple process?

As for teh condition of the booster, it's just surface rust - should come right off.

Old 04-08-2004, 03:57 PM
Senior Chief

Good luck finding a rebuild kit for a booster! I doubt you'll find one, but if you do, please post the supplier!

If your booster worked before, it'll probably work again. I had mine plated, along with my MC cap, at the local plating shop. I glass bead blasted it first, and it came out beautiful. They usually charge by the batch, so the more parts you have done, the cheaper it is per part.
Othwerwise, I hear Booster Dewey does a fantastic job. Do a search using that name to get the contact info.

Old 04-08-2004, 06:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm in the process of sourcing this stuff myself. I can't find anyone that sells a booster kit. I read somewhere that Booster Dewey will sell a kit, but I haven't called yet to confirm.

Does anyone know where I can get a rebuild kit for the round proporting valve used in '67? Also, is the distribution block with brake switch serviceable?

John

Old 04-09-2004, 12:15 PM

I too am very interested in obtaining a booster rebuild kit. Please keep me posted if anyone can get one.

Old 04-09-2004, 07:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well I called Booster Dewey today and he doesn't sell parts. He's a very nice guy though and I may give up and send him my booster. It's less expensive than buying the same thing from a repro house (unless you don't mind getting a generic) and he'll let you send some additional parts to be plated at the same time that he gets your booster blated.

$50 for gold chromated plating
$95 for rebuild
$11 for return shipping

John

Old 04-10-2004, 10:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Booster Dewey did mine a 7-8 years ago.. Still works great..
I was too poor at the time to get the plating done though..
I recommend him.

Work
'67 GTO Convertible "Koerner Built 413 500 hp with a Victor!.. I'll run a stock intake."
'75 Formula 400 - Daily Driver -
Running with my Home Built 455 and TH400

Details here:
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=588372