Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 10-10-2003, 06:26 PM

Since i bought my 68 Firebird the front has sat a little high. I took a day off today with the plan to pull the springs and cut one coil out. Easy enough and free to boot. First obstacle was ball joints. Trip to the auto supply to get a ball joint remover. After pounding the crap out of it the ball joints popped loose. Removed the spring, cut out a coil, replaced the spring. Easy enough. Reassemble and put it on the ground. No difference. Pull it apart again and cut out another coil. Reassemble. Still no difference. Get to looking and notice that the upper part of the spring is not sitting in the coil seat properly. Dissassemble. Get it correct and reassemble. Let it down and it looks real good. Go to the other side. Disassemble, cut two coils out, reassemble. Let it down and , oh crap, the thing is practically sitting on the tires. I can't drive it because they rub. Call several auto supplies and find the correct Moog springs. $80 later I disassemble, replace springs and reassemble. Both sides again. Set it down and nuts, I'm right back where I started only about 9 hours and 90 bucks later. I decide to go for a drive. Once I get it out on the road I start to notice the view is a little different. Stop in a parking lot and check everything. All looks good. The Moog springs have settled down and the car is finally setting right. I am so tired and sore already I can hardly stand it. My "free" fix cost me 90 bucks. Ego bruised. Lesson learned.

Doug

Old 10-10-2003, 06:26 PM

Since i bought my 68 Firebird the front has sat a little high. I took a day off today with the plan to pull the springs and cut one coil out. Easy enough and free to boot. First obstacle was ball joints. Trip to the auto supply to get a ball joint remover. After pounding the crap out of it the ball joints popped loose. Removed the spring, cut out a coil, replaced the spring. Easy enough. Reassemble and put it on the ground. No difference. Pull it apart again and cut out another coil. Reassemble. Still no difference. Get to looking and notice that the upper part of the spring is not sitting in the coil seat properly. Dissassemble. Get it correct and reassemble. Let it down and it looks real good. Go to the other side. Disassemble, cut two coils out, reassemble. Let it down and , oh crap, the thing is practically sitting on the tires. I can't drive it because they rub. Call several auto supplies and find the correct Moog springs. $80 later I disassemble, replace springs and reassemble. Both sides again. Set it down and nuts, I'm right back where I started only about 9 hours and 90 bucks later. I decide to go for a drive. Once I get it out on the road I start to notice the view is a little different. Stop in a parking lot and check everything. All looks good. The Moog springs have settled down and the car is finally setting right. I am so tired and sore already I can hardly stand it. My "free" fix cost me 90 bucks. Ego bruised. Lesson learned.

Doug

Old 10-10-2003, 06:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Good story lol, one coil and letting it sit over night would have done it thoe LOL, but now you have peace of mind that you have new springs hehe.
Mike

Old 10-12-2003, 04:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sounds familiar -- I had one side in and out almost as many times, mainly because I had never done it before.

John

1969 Firebird resto...doing my part to keep PY profitable....

Old 10-13-2003, 12:53 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

ones spring then the other after it looked right ?NO comment .LOL

http://community.webshots.com/user/stripleduce