Old 07-02-2003, 10:33 AM

Anybody out there have experience with the Year One reproduction radiator core support for '70 lemans? The printed catalog states that it doesn't fit LeMans and Tempest, yet from a cursory examination of my parts book and assembly manual I can't see any difference between the lemans, tempest, and GTO versions. The online catalog says nothing about compatiblity:

http://www.yearone.com/serverfiles/p...hid=520AB49061

Or, are there any alternative sources for reproduction or reconditioned core supports for '70 LeMans models?

Mine is in decent shape but the LHS radiator support reinforcement (which is the spot-welded L-shaped piece at the bottom where the rubber bushings mount to the frame rails) is pretty well rusted out; the part number stamped on the reinforcement is 9790231; are there any suppliers for this part? If so, I can remove the part and install a new one.

Not being a welder or fabricator, and not having any local junkyards to scavenge from, I can see the cost of repair and repainting the core support going far beyond the cost of a "new" repro unit +shipping (and I'm not building a show car, so the fact that it's not OEM/NOS doesn't really bother me.)

-Mike

Bought: 1970 Le Mans Sport Convertible (second owner,) Palladium silver, 350/2bbl (sigh) with Comp Cams 268H grind (installed by previous owner), TH350 Trans. Mods: Front suspension: Global West negative roll tubular upper arms, Del-a-lum bushings, Koni shocks, 12" disc brake conversion, 1.1" front sway bar, Rear suspension: Global West tubular control arms, springs, sway bar. Exhaust: Flowmaster 2.5" American Thunder system. Mostly complete: Firewall-forward engine compartment restoration
Old 07-02-2003, 10:33 AM

Anybody out there have experience with the Year One reproduction radiator core support for '70 lemans? The printed catalog states that it doesn't fit LeMans and Tempest, yet from a cursory examination of my parts book and assembly manual I can't see any difference between the lemans, tempest, and GTO versions. The online catalog says nothing about compatiblity:

http://www.yearone.com/serverfiles/p...hid=520AB49061

Or, are there any alternative sources for reproduction or reconditioned core supports for '70 LeMans models?

Mine is in decent shape but the LHS radiator support reinforcement (which is the spot-welded L-shaped piece at the bottom where the rubber bushings mount to the frame rails) is pretty well rusted out; the part number stamped on the reinforcement is 9790231; are there any suppliers for this part? If so, I can remove the part and install a new one.

Not being a welder or fabricator, and not having any local junkyards to scavenge from, I can see the cost of repair and repainting the core support going far beyond the cost of a "new" repro unit +shipping (and I'm not building a show car, so the fact that it's not OEM/NOS doesn't really bother me.)

-Mike

Bought: 1970 Le Mans Sport Convertible (second owner,) Palladium silver, 350/2bbl (sigh) with Comp Cams 268H grind (installed by previous owner), TH350 Trans. Mods: Front suspension: Global West negative roll tubular upper arms, Del-a-lum bushings, Koni shocks, 12" disc brake conversion, 1.1" front sway bar, Rear suspension: Global West tubular control arms, springs, sway bar. Exhaust: Flowmaster 2.5" American Thunder system. Mostly complete: Firewall-forward engine compartment restoration
Old 07-02-2003, 11:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Mike,
The '70 Tempest-LeMans V8 coresupport is a one year application piece due the shape of the leading edge of the top of the core support. The GTO repop coresupport (PY sells 'em too) will not have the same shape on the top. The upright section of the repro will be the same, but the LeMans fiberglass header panel will not have much to bolt to.

Repairing/restoring coresupports...
Over the years have spliced many a piece of metal in the lwr bushing areas (always the battery side) then came back with small cutoff wheel & grinder & made a new hole. With the coresupport out, you can prob do 90% of the work with a Dremel tool & cut-off wheels, just will need a piece of the stamped lower channel & will have to have someone MIG it in for you. 15 years ago, even managed to do this with an arc welder turned down low.

Other repairs...for coresupports with damaged tops, these can even even have tops swapped. Today on '70 1/2- 72 Bird coresupports, am even getting into replacing lh panel uprights

If the upright in the core support is solid (no rust in front of the battery), usually an easy fix, lot easier than finding another coresupport.

Lastly, if sourcing used, the 6 cylinder core support is different, usually takes a small 2 core radiator & I don't believe has the flanged step on the top to accept the V8 fanshroud. Believe that is the 6 cylinder difference, been a LONG time since I've pulled one of the 6 cyl versions.

[This message was edited by ol' Pinion head on July 02, 2003 at 02:42 PM.]

Old 07-02-2003, 11:59 AM

Thanks for the excellent info!

Goodmark is probably the supplier for the aftermarket repro units (Year One, or was it OPG?)

http://www.goodmarkindustries.com/GTO6872.htm
http://www.goodmarkindustries.com/gr...333-320-70.jpg

I see that there is a difference in the top where the LeMans fiberglass upper would mount.. so it won't work, as you said. Too bad someone doesn't make an adapter or other plate that can be welded on top... or even the reinforcements at the lower bushing mount so we could re-weld in a new part...

I'll look into repair options for the time being...

[This message was edited by DIY Guy on July 02, 2003 at 03:44 PM.]

Old 07-02-2003, 12:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Mike,
The repro core support is def marketed by Goodmark. Have always believed Goodmark to just be an importer/middleman. Anyway, def not more than one reproduction of this same core support.

Old 07-02-2003, 12:45 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ol' Pinion head:
Mike,
The repro core support is def marketed by Goodmark. Have always believed Goodmark to just be an importer/middleman. Anyway, def not more than one reproduction of this same core support.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Bummer that there aren't more sources for this stuff. Really would like to be able to get hands on the lower "L" reinforcing bracket, which is the part that is rotted out on my car (and I presume on most, since this is where the battery acid collects.)

Another question is: is the Goodmark stuff any good? Or is it marginal or junk?

-Mike

Old 07-09-2003, 02:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a 70 Lemans Radiator Core Support for sale.$125. plus shipping. It is very nice, if you need one. Located in Talladega,AL.thepontiacman@yahoo.com

USPS Money Orders or Wal-Mart to Wal-Mart money gram wire transfer -preferred payments.

If Payment doesn't show up in 3-4 days, I move on to the next person that wants it.

Serious Inquiries Only - Shipping Isn't Free.