Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 06-17-2003, 11:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I saw on the Master Power Brakes website, where they sell a conversion kit for 64/72 A- bodies to put 11 inch drum brakes on the rear.upgrading from the factory 9.5. there kit is around $500 bucks, is there a lower buck/ junkyard conversion setup out there to make this swap? I'm planning on putting discs on the front of my 66 Lemans, (have the spindles/rotors/calipers)thought the bigger drum swap in the rear would be a good thing as well.

1966 Lemans, 3700Lbs, 406 ci, #96 Heads, Crane 467/494 cam, RPM Intake, Q-Jet, 11 inch Converter, 3:90 gears, 3 inch exhaust, Best ET 12.62@107 MPH 414ci shortblock coming soon!
Old 06-17-2003, 11:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I saw on the Master Power Brakes website, where they sell a conversion kit for 64/72 A- bodies to put 11 inch drum brakes on the rear.upgrading from the factory 9.5. there kit is around $500 bucks, is there a lower buck/ junkyard conversion setup out there to make this swap? I'm planning on putting discs on the front of my 66 Lemans, (have the spindles/rotors/calipers)thought the bigger drum swap in the rear would be a good thing as well.

1966 Lemans, 3700Lbs, 406 ci, #96 Heads, Crane 467/494 cam, RPM Intake, Q-Jet, 11 inch Converter, 3:90 gears, 3 inch exhaust, Best ET 12.62@107 MPH 414ci shortblock coming soon!
Old 06-18-2003, 05:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Once you get the disc on I doubt if you could even tell the difference between 95 and 11 on the rear. Save that money and put it in the engine.

Old 06-18-2003, 07:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Larger brakes never hurt anything, but there are many different ways to skin a cat.

If interested in 11" backing plates, might ck your local Pick-N-Pull, do know many of the early '80's GM big cars (Cadillac Fleetwoods & some Buicks) had c-clip design 8 7/8 MP series rears with bigger diam rear drums than the normal 9 1/2's used on A & F-bodys & many light duty r/e big cars. While, I believe, these have the right bolt pattern to bolt to your r/e hsg, these rears used 5 on 5 drums, so their drums will not work. Will measure some '65-70 Impalla drums I have & ck their diameter, they are just bigger diam & retain 4 3/4" bolt pattern drums. The Impalla drums might be the ticket, but the '65-70 Impalla backing plates bolt up to a r/e with a different hsg end (same as 1/2 ton pick-up). The Impalla drums also add weight.

Another source would be the '73-77 A-bodys. Not 100% sure of the diam of the drums on these, but in pulling hsgs & axles, many seem to be at least 10.5" diam. Will ck when yarding later this week. Backing plates on these will be direct bolt on.

If truly interested in performance & rear drums, might consider going with a pair of used alum 9.5" drums (thick ones), having them cryo'ed, then running the Praise Dyno Brake higher tension springs & special brake shoes. Benefits: Less rotating mass at the axle, lighter overall car weight (subtract 11 lbs) & decreased stopping distance will result. After pulling the previous owner installed concours detailed disc set-up off my T-37 post, have gone back with drum spindles & new wheel cylinders. Just had a set of meaty Buick GS alum front drums turned, & they will be off to local Cryo guy as soon as can come up with some more really thick alum rear drums. More Praise Dyno Brake parts are planned. The largest expense in the Praise dyno brake drum upgrades are their new drums which they send to the Cryo treaters. The Cryo guys are not cheap, & tack on the price of a pair of new drums & one can see where Praise's total price is coming from.

Old 06-18-2003, 10:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I pulled mine from a '78 Monte Carlo.

Dave "Big Injun" Anderson
www.pontiacdragdays.com
www.geetotiger.com

For GTO Celebration items click the tile coaster.
Old 06-18-2003, 07:06 PM

marty, drop me a line i may have something that will work for you.

mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 06-19-2003, 10:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

OK Mike, I'll Email you on that offer. thanks for the info OPH, might have to scrounge around and do some measuring, I do have 3 9.5 Alumnimun drums stashed in the garage, but don't know if there useable or not, might have to take them down to the local brake shop and get them checked. what about 60's BOP A body station wagons? would they have the bigger brakes?