Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 03-24-2004, 11:45 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via Yahoo to Goin' Topless

I got this 10-bolt posi which was said to have come out of a '72 Olds Cutlass.

The stamp on the ring gears says 41-15, which comes to a 2.73:1 ratio. Part number is 1234668.

What I need help with is the carrier. It looks like a two piece plate-type unit. It has 5 springs, 3 close together deep inside the carrier, and two mounted on the corners near the mouth. Who made this carrier? Eaton or Dana? The bearing mains have a big diamond on them.

The axle housing number is 1235197. CFD(or O?)

Carrier number is 15-24-102-10. This is the only number on the carrier i could find. It's on the opening to the side gears and spider gears, ring gear side.

It has three letter "A" stamped on it, one up top and the others underneath the webbing on the center section.

It sounds like a standard 10-bolt 8.5" posi that you'd find in an old Vista Cruiser.

What gear ratios work on this thing?

Any help would be appreciated! Thank you in advance!

Old 03-24-2004, 11:45 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I got this 10-bolt posi which was said to have come out of a '72 Olds Cutlass.

The stamp on the ring gears says 41-15, which comes to a 2.73:1 ratio. Part number is 1234668.

What I need help with is the carrier. It looks like a two piece plate-type unit. It has 5 springs, 3 close together deep inside the carrier, and two mounted on the corners near the mouth. Who made this carrier? Eaton or Dana? The bearing mains have a big diamond on them.

The axle housing number is 1235197. CFD(or O?)

Carrier number is 15-24-102-10. This is the only number on the carrier i could find. It's on the opening to the side gears and spider gears, ring gear side.

It has three letter "A" stamped on it, one up top and the others underneath the webbing on the center section.

It sounds like a standard 10-bolt 8.5" posi that you'd find in an old Vista Cruiser.

What gear ratios work on this thing?

Any help would be appreciated! Thank you in advance!

Old 03-24-2004, 07:55 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Additionally, any tips on how the axles come out would be appreciated too!

Old 03-24-2004, 07:58 PM

The way that the B-O-P (Buick Oldsmobile Pontiac) axles are retained is by bolts. Take off the brake drum and you will see 3 large holes in the flange of the axle. Through this hole you insert a socket and take out the four bolts. Then you simply pull (pry) out the axle and pull the it out. -Jesse

Old 03-24-2004, 08:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

i used a trick that helped pull the axles out.

On a B-O-P's the axles is retained by that flange and a press fit of the bearing. I took the drum off, did as described above and rotated the flange to allow me to remove the four bolts (there is a gasket under that flange you need to replace when your done)

Then I flipped the drum around so it was on backwards and slid it back over the studs. I spun on some nuts on the studs (to save my lug nuts from damage) and used the drum as a puller and yanked it against the nuts.
The axles slid out nicely.

Work
'67 GTO Convertible "Koerner Built 413 500 hp with a Victor!.. I'll run a stock intake."
'75 Formula 400 - Daily Driver -
Running with my Home Built 455 and TH400

Details here:
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=588372
Old 03-24-2004, 10:35 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks for the input, guys. It really helps. My total rear-end experience was with a C-clip 12-bolt.

I'd still like some help getting an I.D. on the carrier so I know what I'm asking for at the parts counter.

I didn't expect to see a plate-style carrier in 10-bolt form. I was expecting that N shaped clip. Add to that 5 springs instead of the expected four. I discovered three of the springs were broke so I need to know what to ask for. It looked like there were traces of red paint on the springs.

One of the plates was cracked too, but I can have that welded.

Anyone got any 3.36s or 3.42s?

Old 03-26-2004, 01:35 PM

Topless, I have a set of Richmond 3.73:1 gears. Was going to put them in my rear end but I found an early 12-bolt housing and built that. So, now I have some 8.2 inch gears laying around. -Jesse

Old 03-26-2004, 11:13 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Kidgoat, thanks for the offer but I'm aiming for 3.42 or 3.23s.

I believe I have a 8.5" carrier.

Old 03-27-2004, 12:56 AM

I'm interested in these if they are still up for grabs. Thanks R.B.

Old 03-28-2004, 02:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sorry couldn't find those numbers in my parts books. Mine are PMD although a lot of parts will interchange between GM.

Old 03-28-2004, 10:49 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks, SDBOB, I looked in mine too. I was hoping for an interchange between parts too. Previous owner said it came out of a 72 Olds.

Has anyone ever heard of these types of spring plates in a 8.5" posi? (See original post above) Are replacement springs hard to find?

Old 03-29-2004, 07:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Bet you have a Warner-Motive cone type 8.5 posi carrier. These were used in '71 model 8.5's & there is an illustration of this style carrier in the '73 Pontiac Service Manual, so they were probably used in some '72's & '73's as well. There are no new replacement parts for the Warner-Motive carrier. Will try & get some pics of one of the Warner-Motives later today or early tomorrow.

Old 03-29-2004, 04:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Goin-
Thats the same posi rear I have! 'OPH id'ed it for me a while back in this post
My rear thread with pics

I have the same codes on mine.

OPH I am very interested in numerically lower gears for this setup...I have a 2.73 I believe.

Work
'67 GTO Convertible "Koerner Built 413 500 hp with a Victor!.. I'll run a stock intake."

Details here:
Old 03-29-2004, 04:54 PM

69GPRob, Are you interested in the 3.37s I have, or am I mixing it up when you said "are they still up for grabs" with someone else's post? -Jesse

Old 03-29-2004, 11:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

In my previous post I meant numerically higher (lower) gears... anyhow...
I want some 3:42's!!!! or something right 'round there...

Work

Details here:
Old 03-30-2004, 10:48 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Same here, vidguy! OPH, thanks a bunch for helping out. That is exactly what I have! Do you know of anyone who has any good parts for these babies? I need 3 springs, formerly colored red. I've never dealt with a cone-type rear. How do I tell if the cones are any good?

Is it true that we could use S-10 8.5" ring/pinion gears? I read that somewhere. Do they work with a simple rebuild kit?

Old 03-31-2004, 02:45 PM

Guy's here are two great web sites on GM 10 bolts. This was a very confusing topic for me and I spent alot of time researching. Check it out.

http://www.oldsmobility.com/10boltPont-rebuild.htm

http://www.oldsmobility.com/reardiffs.htm

Old 04-05-2004, 02:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

GTO Tiger, Thanks for the link. I agree, that's a great site.. So... now..
What gears (From which vehicles) can Goin' Topless and I use in this rear? Or who makes NEW gears..?
Thanks all!

Work

Details here:
Old 04-05-2004, 08:48 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I talked to Randy's Ring & Pinion the other day and they quoted me Richmond 3.42s for 161.00. OEM 3.42s for 225.00! They recommended the OEMs, cuz they've heard nothing but good feedback on them. Naturally, I assumed OEMs were GM grears but they are not. It's another name brand?

I've been doing a lot of searching for parts and it looks like the Auburn is a very, very close match to these carriers. The only thing different is the cones.

By the way, how does one know if the cones are any good?

How do they come out? The pictures I saw of them show that they look like a huge cap screw. Is it that simple? Should I even touch them?

Also, how does one determine if they are working properly? I pulled the carrier out (the housing was never in the car, bought it at a swap meet) and was looking it over out of sheer curiosity.

Any help with knowledge or resources to contact would be appreciated by the Vidguy and me! Whadya say? Help a couple guys out?