Old 07-03-2004, 08:39 AM

Any one ever replace there rubber one with a fiberglass replacement before?

Old 07-03-2004, 08:39 AM

Any one ever replace there rubber one with a fiberglass replacement before?

Old 07-03-2004, 02:28 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

No, but I have one for my 75 TA. I am just to lazy to install it.... The one that I have came from California and is setting in the front of my trailor.....

Rodney

Old 07-13-2004, 03:51 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I was going to make some new brackets to put it back to gether...... Just can't find the time!

Rodney

Old 07-22-2004, 03:09 PM

I too have one of the fiberglass replacement front bumpers for my 75 TA. I am in the process of taking apart the front end and I have the old bumper off. The rubber part of the bumper was in such bad shape I knew I would have to replace it and I got this new fiberglass piece with a bunch of other TA parts I bought. The rubber on the old bumper is molded right onto the metal part. I had to take a sawsall to cut it off. Now the fiberglass replacement fits well over the metal part, except I have to figure out how to keep this piece on. There are no holes or anything to screw or bolt the new piece on. Let me know if you come up with anything and I will keep you posted on what I do.
Thanks

Old 07-26-2004, 06:46 AM

Dave im going to try to keep the rear half of the bumper and use the fiberglass to replace the front half (the half with the rubber molded to it)Im wating on my valance filler panel now so I can get everthing lined up to make some brackets Ill keep you posted.Im not trying to reduce the weight just could not find a decent 74-75 front bumper.

Old 07-26-2004, 08:10 PM

Rodent,
I'm not sure if we have or if we are talking about the same part. I have removed my front bumper and it comes in two pieces. A front part and a back part that I think is called an inner bar reinforcement. There are also a few parts bolted in between. When I got the two apart, I then took the front part (with the rubber bumper molded to it) and I cut off the rubber down to the bare metal. Now I can take my "new bumper", the fiberglass piece that replaces the rubber, and it will slide over the front metal part. I could then bolt the front and back together again but there is nothing really holding the fibergalss piece on. It fits very nice, just nothing to hold it on. The valance even looks like it will even fit over the new bumper nicely.
I'm not sure if I will have to bolt the new part on or try to find some kind of adheasive that will be strong enough to hold it on.
Keep me posted on what you do.
Thanks,
Dave F

Old 07-27-2004, 04:47 AM

Dave did your piece come from Fiberglass Creations?Does yours have the bumperettes molded to it?

Old 07-27-2004, 01:47 PM

I am not sure where it came from. I bought this part (along with a bunch of other NOS parts) from someone else. He told me that GM made it, but I have no way to prove that and I have never heard of them making this. It does have the bumperettes molded to it. I don't know if I would say it is molded to it, it's all just one piece including a part that goes over the license plate area. This part differs from the original in the fact that is is one piece while the original bumper had 3 rubber pieces.
Does this fiberglass creations have a web site?
Texas Trans Am has a picture of one on the parts page of their web site except my bumper is grey and will have to be painted.

Old 07-28-2004, 06:54 AM

Dave Im sorry the place is called fiberglass trends they dont have a web page but phone # is 714-532-6140.It sounds like you have the same piece as mine.The one I have is a pretty good match except the ends of bumper are angled where the originals are straight.I saw the tx. T/A piece looks good but not avaliable yet.

Old 09-08-2004, 12:54 AM
Senior Chief

i have a fiberglass front for my 74 but just never got around to putting it on. i torched out all the re-inforcements on my original one and now its 50 lbs less weight. the fiberglass one came with no holes drilled in it, but was pretty much ready for paint.

Old 09-24-2004, 06:56 AM

Got my bumper installed,you were right it just slides over front (a little snug)drilled 3 holes through it attached to front half on top behind filler panel also was able to attach the lower part by just installing front license plate holder brackets through fiberglass into there original holes.Everything is still intact except old rubber piece and bumperettes.

Old 09-24-2004, 07:13 AM

where did u get it from, and how much did you give, (if you do not mind sharing)? Did you take any pics you could post...
Thanks,

Old 09-24-2004, 09:07 AM

I ordered it from fiberglass trends in CA.ph#714-532-6140 took about 6-8 weeks to arrive $155.00 total.I will post pics asap(I dont have a digital camera)might want to know that the ends of bumper are angled not straight like original rubber was,maybe if you order one from them you could mention that and they could correct.Texas Trans am shows one on there web site, says "coming soon".What happened to your original? Mine shrank and both ends fell off, center part rusted under rubber and delaminated.

Old 09-25-2004, 04:23 PM

Congratulations Rodent!
I have not been able to make much progress on my bumper. I still need to get the two main pieces sandblasted. Have you painted your replacement bumper yet? I hope you can get some pictures posted. And if you can't I'd really apprecitate it if you mailed me some just so I know I'm going in the right direction when the time comes
Dave F

Old 09-29-2004, 05:30 AM

pictures(power plant & transmission will be removed this winter)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	good_top_no_grille.JPG
Views:	434
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	14097  

Old 09-29-2004, 05:31 AM

you can see the 5 screws across the top.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	front_wide_no_grille.JPG
Views:	429
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	16310  

Old 09-29-2004, 05:39 AM

3 screws across the middle (hard to see)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	top_no_grille.JPG
Views:	392
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	5480  

Old 09-29-2004, 05:40 AM

3 middle screws will be hidden by filler 2 outside screws hidden under headlamp holes in grille.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	complete_front.JPG
Views:	379
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	22803  

Old 09-29-2004, 05:41 AM

plate brackets back to original holes.Also good shot of 3 middle screws.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	complete_frontmiddle.JPG
Views:	381
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	7671