Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 11-20-2003, 10:11 AM

It has been six years in reesto so, I don't remember this issue.Normal speed 50ish or lower neddle is pretty steady. After that and the higher it goes the neddle gets plain stupid. And anything over 90 it will bounce from 80-120+. What is this ?? And most of all what will make it stationary to relevant speed? Yep it's lubed & the trans. gear changed out and cable yep replaced also.

Old 11-20-2003, 10:11 AM

It has been six years in reesto so, I don't remember this issue.Normal speed 50ish or lower neddle is pretty steady. After that and the higher it goes the neddle gets plain stupid. And anything over 90 it will bounce from 80-120+. What is this ?? And most of all what will make it stationary to relevant speed? Yep it's lubed & the trans. gear changed out and cable yep replaced also.

Old 11-20-2003, 11:26 AM

does the car have cruise control?

if not it sounds like you have a problem in the speedo head, i'll assume you lubed the cable when the new one was installed. if not do this first. assembly lube works good for this.

if yes then i'd look at the cruise transducer for the problem.

i've also seen the gear in the trans that drives the cable cause hese symptoms.

mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 11-20-2003, 12:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Try not to have sharp bends in the cable. Keep all bends smooth and as large a radius as you can.

George

Old 11-20-2003, 06:31 PM
Senior Chief

take the speedo out of the dash and take it to a speedo shop and have it cleaned and lubed also get it calibraided

Old 11-24-2003, 09:20 PM

Don't go over 90 . . . YEAH RIGHT!

Old 11-25-2003, 08:59 AM

All parts are new but the spedo itself. The cable bind may be it. I went napa and the only one on the shelf was for a 69 and it is almost a foot longer so I did have to get creative. And maybe a little more lube.
As for the under 90! That works too.

Old 02-07-2004, 08:30 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I had this problem (opportunity) on a '57 Chevy. It wasn't the cable. Put a few drops of light oil on the speedo mechanism right where the cable goes in. That fixed it.