Old 07-23-2004, 07:16 PM

Why do the full size wheel covers on my Star Chief keep coming off? I notice they twist around the rim, bending the valve stems. All four of wheels do this, I can push them on, and drive 50 miles or so and one or two of them will be coming loose. I've tried different hubcaps to no avail. I must mention I have Coker steel belts on the car, which I hope is not the problem. When I pull out of the garage, I can hear what sounds like the hubcaps creaking/squeaking just backing out. Has anybody else ever had this problem? Perhaps some new rims?

Old 07-23-2004, 07:16 PM

Why do the full size wheel covers on my Star Chief keep coming off? I notice they twist around the rim, bending the valve stems. All four of wheels do this, I can push them on, and drive 50 miles or so and one or two of them will be coming loose. I've tried different hubcaps to no avail. I must mention I have Coker steel belts on the car, which I hope is not the problem. When I pull out of the garage, I can hear what sounds like the hubcaps creaking/squeaking just backing out. Has anybody else ever had this problem? Perhaps some new rims?

Old 07-27-2004, 12:16 PM

going to copy this to the 60 / older tech as this may get answered quicker there.

mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 07-27-2004, 12:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have one full size hupcap on my 64 Lemans that does that too. It creeps on the rim to where it starts to lay over the valve stem. I have tried swapping the hubcaps from other wheels with the same results. It seems to get to a certian point then stops but it never falls off. I think it is in the rim somehow but I can't tell what it could be. I will look more closely as I am going to replace the front wheel bearings in a couple of days. I will check to see if there are any grooves or such that may cause the creeping hubcap.

Old 07-27-2004, 02:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ladi,I had the same problem on my 54,so I bought factory wire wheel covers,they bolt to the wheel.But it probably is bad (flexing)rims.

Old 07-29-2004, 04:42 AM

You're not alone. Both my front wheel covers rotate as well. They seem to be rotating in a forward direction, the right one going clockwise and the left counterclockwise.

I put new rims on the car this year and the problemm is worse. used to be one wheel that gave me trouble.

Only theory I've dreamed up is that under braking the covers don't slow down as quickly.

Haven't had any come off. In fact recently one of the rears I forgot to finish putting it on (part hidding up in quarterpanel) went for a drive and still there when I returned.

I'd sure like to know what the cure is.
Edward

Old 07-29-2004, 05:05 AM

Did you get new as in brand new rims for your 55? Are you running radial tires on this car? Someone told me to use a little permatex on each cover to stop it from rotating, that would seem to be a last-ditch effort to solve the problem, at least I know I'm not the only 55 with this problem.

Old 07-29-2004, 07:07 PM

The rims were brand new 15 x 6". And I am running radial tires. Personally I don't see how the tires would have any effect since they don't make contact with the covers.

Edward

Old 07-30-2004, 02:47 PM

The next time you have your hubcaps off, take a pair of pliers and bend the tabs on the cap out a bit. Then take a small file and sharpen the points on the tab. It'll let the cap grip the wheel better. It will make them hard to re-install but just make sure they seat down real good. I did this with my caps and don't seem to have a problem now. I make it a habit to remove my caps for extended highway trips as well. Worst case fix is to mark your wheels where the tabs are, and have someone weld a bead on the wheel so the cap wont crawl.
Hope this helps.
Dan

Old 08-01-2004, 08:29 PM

I think your all over looking the main cause. The RADIAL TIRES. Some years ago Ford people were splitting wheels at the bead line. I was told that radial tires flex much more than tires that were made when the wheels were made. Your wheel flexs and wheel covers walk or work off the rim. I had this on my 65 GTO Rally I trim rings. Took the radials off and rings stayed on.Just my thought.

Old 10-05-2004, 08:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My1955 Chieftain developed the same problem when I switched to radial ply tires. I also vote for flexable rims.