Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 12-08-2003, 01:33 PM

i have a 80 TA with a 455 out of a 75 catalina. the pulleys and alternator are all out of the catalina. i put the engine in over the summer and its been charging fine untill recently. at first it wouldn't go above 12 volts but if i hit the gas a few times it would kick in and work fine. now it won't charge at all and runs the battery down. the alternator was tested and its fine, and the conections seam to be fine at the alternator. do you have any ideas on what it could be? i'm thinking its a bad conection somewhere but i don't know where it could be. thx.

1975 2 bolt 455, 6X-8 heads, summit 2802 cam, stock intake, edelbrock 600cfm.
TH350 trans and converter out of a 78 TA, 10 bolt posi rear with 3.42 gears, 225/70-15 tires.
Old 12-08-2003, 01:33 PM

i have a 80 TA with a 455 out of a 75 catalina. the pulleys and alternator are all out of the catalina. i put the engine in over the summer and its been charging fine untill recently. at first it wouldn't go above 12 volts but if i hit the gas a few times it would kick in and work fine. now it won't charge at all and runs the battery down. the alternator was tested and its fine, and the conections seam to be fine at the alternator. do you have any ideas on what it could be? i'm thinking its a bad conection somewhere but i don't know where it could be. thx.

TH350 trans and converter out of a 78 TA, 10 bolt posi rear with 3.42 gears, 225/70-15 tires.
Old 12-08-2003, 01:42 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

fusible link at the starter.Should be three or four of them by the starter.They look like plastic boxes on the wires.

http://community.webshots.com/user/stripleduce

Old 12-08-2003, 01:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Since you needed to raise the RPM previously to start charging, the connection to term #1 on the alternator was/is bad. In a normal application this is connected to the idiot light. IF it is not working now at all, Delco alternators won't charge if there is a bad connection on terminal #2, the sense terminal. This should be connected ultimately to the battery (+) terminal. As a test, try connecting it to the alternator output stud and see if it will charge.

George

Old 12-08-2003, 04:17 PM

i put it back on today and at first it wasn't charging then i hit the gas once and it was fine, it jumped right up to 14 volts and stayed there.

are terminal #s 1 and 2 the ones in the conector, not on the sud? i'l try cleaning them and see if it makes any difference.

Old 12-08-2003, 04:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Terminals 1 and 2 are the 1/4" blades that are in the recess of the side of the rear housing near the back. Looking from the rear, #1 is on the left.

George

Old 12-08-2003, 05:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I know it's obvious but have you checked the belt isn't slipping? Sometimes blipping the gas will get it to bite and start driving. Hope your not insulted
Malcolm

Old 12-08-2003, 06:09 PM

the belt is on good and its turning.

do you think it could be the brushes or something? you know how sometimes an alternator stops then you tap it and it works for a while, just tapping doesn't do anything on this one?

i'm not insulted, i'd probably miss something like that anyways.

Old 12-09-2003, 08:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Even if term #1 is not connected, throttling it up a bit should excite the alternator and start charging. If term. #2 is getting battery sense voltage and it still is not charging, You've got an intermittent problem in there somewhere. You can bypass the internal regulator to see if the alternator itself is working. There is a tab on the internal regulator, accessible thru the rear vent slots. Using a small screwdriver, touch the tab and the housing of the alternator simultaneously with the screwdriver. The alternator output should go up to 15 or 16 volts if the alternator is good. CHeck madelectrical.com; they may have pix.

George