Old 05-02-2004, 03:42 PM

Hi,
Can anyone tell me how the instrument cluster is removed from the dashboard on a 71 Lemans? It looks like there is a screw hole above each gauge, but I don't see any screws.

Old 05-02-2004, 03:42 PM

Hi,
Can anyone tell me how the instrument cluster is removed from the dashboard on a 71 Lemans? It looks like there is a screw hole above each gauge, but I don't see any screws.

Old 05-02-2004, 04:17 PM
Senior Chief

You have to pull the dash. The guage cluster mounts to the dash from behind. It seems like a big project but if you take your time, label all your parts and wires, it can be done in a few hours.

Old 05-02-2004, 05:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Scott,

What is your definition of "a few hours"? LOL

The biggest problem is the removal and reinstallation of the dash itself. But like Scott said "label al your parts and wires" and it is doable. Do you have an assembly manual? I have one and would be glad to e-mail those pages if necessary. The catch? I'm not at home and won't be for several days. It would be at least the end of next week. Just let me know

Old 05-02-2004, 08:06 PM
Senior Chief

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jack Peters:
Scott,

What is your definition of "a few hours"? LOL
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just going by personal experience. I had my dash out of my 70 in about 3 hours. But, I guess I should have mentioned that the console and seats were already out at the time. It's time consuming but not difficult.

Old 05-04-2004, 07:37 AM
Senior Chief

I think what Scott said there is important, if you have the time i would take out the seats or seat, you spend alot of time on your back and it is less wear and tear on you and the seats if they are nice. I would also try to get ahold of an assembly manual picture of dash removal it shows where the bolts are pretty well so your not fighting that. I dont have a scanner maybe someone else here has that pic and could post it.

Old 05-07-2004, 02:37 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

YOU SHOULD ALSO DROP THE STEERING COLUM

ET 12.504
MPH 107
3940 lbs
Old 05-07-2004, 10:05 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

how do u get the dash out?

Old 05-08-2004, 09:53 AM
Suspended

detailed info is in the assembly or body manual as well as some in the service manual. Best place to look since it describes the hidden areas as well.

Old 05-08-2004, 05:43 PM
Senior Chief

Drop the column. Disconnect the radio, lighter, heater controls from the dash, wiper switch, headlight switch, conv top switch(if applicable), under dash courtesy lights and remove any under dash duct work. Be sure to label any and all wiring you disconnect. Label all nuts, bolts and washers and put them in a plastic baggy. This will help a ton when you reinstall everything.
Remove the glove box.
Remove the 3 screws in the top of the instrument cluster tubes.
There are 4 bolts along the bottom of the dash:left and right corner and left and right of the steering column.
inside the glove box opening there are 3 or 4 screws along the top of the dash that attatch the dash to the metal dash panel
Once you drop the dash reach in from the top and disconnect the speedo cable at the speedo.
That should be it. It's been a few years since I did it so I may have forgotten something. Just take your time. When it comes time to drop the dash do it slow just in case you forgot to disconnect something. This way you don't rip out any wiring.

Old 05-08-2004, 11:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sorry but can't find that page in the assembly manual. Seats out and drop steering wheel. Then everything Scott said. DON'T GET IN A HURRY!! Something always gets broken when you do.

Old 05-09-2004, 08:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I find it a LOT FASTER if you disconnect the
main bulkhead under hood at firewall{1 screw}.
Then unbolt fuse block inside and pull the
dash and wiring out as a unit. Then you can
disconnect wires etc. out in the open. Hell,
you can have the whole dash harness out in 10
minutes. I can pull the dash in 30 minutes
this way.

Old 05-09-2004, 10:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

second Punch's procedure- that's the way the factory did it...