WELCOME!

Go Back   PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together > PY Welcomes 2004-06 GTO Owners > 04-06 General Tech/Discussion

04-06 General Tech/Discussion 2004-2006 GTO General Tech and discussion.

Old 12-09-2004, 09:09 PM
Senior Chief

Pontiac has the performance, but before I would consider a GTO it had better look like a GTO. Will Pontiac go down with the ship, or will they restyle. Buy the way with the gm initiatives cann you get a GTO for under 30k?
Old 12-09-2004, 09:09 PM
Senior Chief

Pontiac has the performance, but before I would consider a GTO it had better look like a GTO. Will Pontiac go down with the ship, or will they restyle. Buy the way with the gm initiatives cann you get a GTO for under 30k?
Old 12-09-2004, 09:34 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

go back and click on the $5500 rebate post
Old 12-09-2004, 10:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to Goathead

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJrDl3nRNCM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fvywdocl4GA

http://ultimategto.com/icongraf/65headtitle.jpg
Old 12-12-2004, 11:58 AM
Senior Chief

For those who like the '05 but hated the '04, here's a picture from a November '03 press release showing the same Autocross option package (minus the hood scoops although they were still available). The same looks as the '05 have been available on the '04 from the start, just not straight from the dealer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	04_00092_1.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	16491  
Old 12-12-2004, 12:05 PM
Senior Chief

So Danny, you gonna change your mind about liking the '05 or hating the '04? Just curious...
Old 12-12-2004, 12:11 PM
Senior Chief

Here's the rear view of the '04 Autocross model and these are its specs:

400 horsepower 5.7L LS1 V-8 engine with GM Performance Parts LS6 heads and camshaft
Pontiac GTO Accessories, including front and rear fascia extensions, rocker panel, rear spoiler with integrated CHMSL and symmetrical dual exhaust
Production machine-drilled aluminum pedals
Production red sport gauge package and satin nickel appointments
Production 2+2 all-leather bucket seating with sports-styled bolsters
55/45 weight distribution, balanced for excellent performance
Custom Stainless Steel Brakes Corp. rotors and calipers
Custom 18-inch wheels
BF Goodrich g-force T/A KD performance tires
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	04_00092_2.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	18729  
Old 12-12-2004, 12:30 PM

Send a message via AIM to The Who Send a message via MSN to The Who

heres a concept I saw on UltimateGto.com

pretty sweet, even though that spoiler kinda bugs me
Old 12-12-2004, 12:53 PM
Senior Chief

Sure...but the pictures of the '04 weren't concept. They were available on the '04 and are now available on the '05. Its called the Autocross option package and its available only on the Black and Red Goats. My point was that some '04 haters suddenly like the '05 styling.
Old 12-12-2004, 01:50 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rabon:
Sure...but the pictures of the '04 weren't concept. They were available on the '04 and are now available on the '05. Its called the Autocross option package and its available only on the Black and Red Goats. My point was that some '04 haters suddenly like the '05 styling. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know what you're trying to say, I wasn't even trying to start something here except showing a cool retro style concept that's all. I like the 04 but the the sports package for the 05 does make it a nicer appealing car which as you can obviously notice, is starting to change the minds of people who didnt like the car at first, just look at Goathead who'se been bashing the car for over a year lol.
Old 12-12-2004, 06:50 PM
Senior Chief

Exactly, and if Danny had bothered to look into the '04 he would have seen that the "look" he wanted was available all along.
Old 12-12-2004, 08:17 PM

You can go on the aftermarket with every car possible to change into your own style, but now it's coming directly from GM so it's more acceptable in my eyes and probably his to.
Old 12-12-2004, 08:30 PM
Senior Chief

The pics shown for the Autocross option on the '04 were not aftermarket. They were GM parts...in fact the EXACT same parts as those on the new '05 Autocross Option Package.
Old 12-12-2004, 08:43 PM
Senior Chief

Just for the record, the availability of the Autocross Option Package on the '04 appears to have been extremely limited, not available directly from the dealer and I don't know of anyone who actually owns an '04 with the Autocross Option Package. All I was pointing out was that the look is NOT new. It was planned well before even the '04s rolled off the line.
Old 12-12-2004, 08:59 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TheWho:

http://ultimategto.com/pow/pow0450.jpg

pretty sweet, even though that spoiler kinda bugs me <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dump the spoiler. The rest of it is right on the money...including mine. If GM does something like this then perhaps the gto will see 2007.
Old 12-12-2004, 09:02 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rabon:
For those who like the '05 but hated the '04, here's a picture from a November '03 press release showing the same Autocross option package (minus the hood scoops although they were still available). The same looks as the '05 have been available on the '04 from the start, just not straight from the dealer. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ricer air box, puny grill, big spoiler, still look likes like a riced out grand am or something. c'mon gm, you can do better than that!
Old 12-12-2004, 09:23 PM
Senior Chief

red70goat (aka whatza monaro) wrote: ricer air box, puny grill, big spoiler, still look likes like a riced out grand am or something. c'mon gm, you can do better than that!

Goathead has commented differently and has posted pics of the '05. You don't like it? I don't care.
Old 12-13-2004, 12:07 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

red70goat (aka whatza monaro) wrote: ricer air box, puny grill, big spoiler, still look likes like a riced out grand am or something. c'mon gm, you can do better than that!

Goathead has commented differently and has posted pics of the '05. You don't like it? I don't care. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

..."c'mon GM, you can do better than that!"... I really don't care what you think either, thus the referance to GM, not you.
Old 12-13-2004, 01:02 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by red70goat:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TheWho:

Dump the spoiler. The rest of it is right on the money...including mine. If GM does something like this then perhaps the gto will see 2007. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If Larry's comic book GTO is where you guys wanna go with the styling, well, bye bye. I'm an illustrator in my "real" life, & though I like my '04 GTO's styling quite well, I'll have to work on some ideas for this forum & post them when I get the chance. I like the direction of the '05 updates & find some of Arrowhead Performance's work to look pretty good. Some of you have an aversion to rice hulls & I agree that there are some atrocious abominations out there, but "styling" is such a subjective thing & so trend-driven. Reasonable aerodynamics is certainly something that must be considered in any design, and frankly, early GTO's reflect the design sense of their era - something more akin to the furniture & appliances of the time - styling for styling's sake. This is not necessarily "wrong" in and of itself, but I'm glad auto shapes have moved on to what I consider superior styling that arises from the natural good looks of correct aerodynamic shapes - reflecting the needs of passing through air rather than decorating the plastic shell of a 60's era television set. Having said that though, I have to admit that for whatever reason (perhaps nostalgia?) I still find old car styling appealing to look at, even bricks like '55 Chevys!
Old 12-13-2004, 01:35 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Trace:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by red70goat:

Dump the spoiler. The rest of it is right on the money...including mine. If GM does something like this then perhaps the gto will see 2007. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If Larry's comic book GTO is where you guys wanna go with the styling,... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gee, C/D and the rest of the dominant automotive press seems to think that "comic book styling" is a good idea. Consumers too....guess they don't pay much attention to you "progressive" type illustrators. That's the whole problem with the GM Monaro: NO style. Zip. Zero. Notta. Yawn. Looks like everything else out there. GM better get on board or there will be no GTO in 2007.