Old 12-21-2004, 04:05 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I bought a 1971 TA project a few years back and have been accumulating parts to restore it. It is an early white car with blue interior and a four speed. The original block is gone but the HO top end is still there as is the original M22.

I have found a numbers matching 1970 four speed car that is Lucerne blue with a blue interior. Car is original down to the hose clamps under the hood.

My problem is that I would have to sell the '71 to make room for the '70. Both need restoration and paint...

What would you do?

1971 Trans Am 455HO M22; Cameo White / Blue
1971 GTO Convertible 455 M40; Starlight Black / Black
Old 12-21-2004, 04:05 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I bought a 1971 TA project a few years back and have been accumulating parts to restore it. It is an early white car with blue interior and a four speed. The original block is gone but the HO top end is still there as is the original M22.

I have found a numbers matching 1970 four speed car that is Lucerne blue with a blue interior. Car is original down to the hose clamps under the hood.

My problem is that I would have to sell the '71 to make room for the '70. Both need restoration and paint...

What would you do?

Old 12-21-2004, 04:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

i'd keep the 70

Old 12-21-2004, 05:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sell one of them. I think you would be able to get more money for the 70.

Old 12-21-2004, 05:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'd keep the '70, but then I'm a bit biased.

If you keep the '71, I'd be interested in learning the whereabouts of the '70.

Old 12-21-2004, 06:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I personally would take the 71 with the 455 H-O over the 70 (what motor? R-A III)even though the 70 maybe more complete. As far as any purchases based on resale forget it,I learned a huge lesson about that when I sold my GTO it was a 72 455 H-O (1 of 325 auto trans) and just about wanted to strangle some of the tire kickers,got so tired of it sold car for less than I should of(I could have parted it out and made more)and it was a really decent car.The moral of the story is unless your a professional, buy and build what you want the way you want it and the hell with anyone else's opinion.Anything is only worth what someone is willing to pay and there is no accounting for some peoples taste and judgement.

In the meantime,check out the cars HERE.

Old 12-22-2004, 06:13 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Chiefpontiac, I agree with screamingchief. Build the car you want. But if you are going to sell your 71, email me as I am looking for a 71 for my next project. Trevorajordan@aol.com

Old 12-22-2004, 09:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

i'm assuming he wants to build both, only has room, dollars & time for one at the moment, that's why he asked which one YOU would keep, i'm sure he'll build THAT car the way he wants.

i must have missed that the 71 was original 455, that might lean me towards the 71 IF you could find matching parts again.

based on the info you gave though i'd still keep the 70.

Old 12-22-2004, 03:40 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks for all the responses. I'm starting to lean towards picking up the '70 and selling the '71. It's a RAIII four speed that only has 78,000 miles on it and is still in original paint. Everything under the hood is original except for maybe one hose and the battery. The car has been in Colorado it's whole life so there is only minor rust to be repaired. The interior is pretty rough because the original owners wife let it sit outside for years after he passed on.

Old 12-22-2004, 08:20 PM

Gee, this sounds more like which arm I'd prefer to lose. I'd look into adding on to the garage. Seriously I've seen here in Colorado someone who for at least 15 years has had a '70, 71, and 72 parked outside on the street and ain't interested in selling them. Chiefpontiac, I'm in Colorado, if your thinking of selling the '71 let me know cause I'd sure be interested. Then I'd have to figure out whether the Fiat stays or gos or just lives outside

Old 12-22-2004, 08:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A FIAT?????

Old 12-22-2004, 08:38 PM

Yes, I still love my Fiat. Great fun in the sun with the top down. Everytime I think of selling it I just take it for a spin on a nice day and fall in love with it all over again. But it does look kinda out of place in the garage with 3 other Firebirds. Course a 71 T/A might change things.

Old 12-22-2004, 10:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My problem would be keeping from stuffing one of our V-8's in it, you know 455 8-71 blower and a lenco...

Old 12-23-2004, 12:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

you're KILLING ME!!! here in the midwest, you cant find a descent early 2nd gen bird with those options.

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...hop/?start=100
Old 12-24-2004, 09:38 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Chiefpontiac,
I'd be intrested in the 71' also, in a few months. I dont have to draw staws between a Fiat & TA . If I did the it would be because the Fiat already would have a 455 in it
So if pressthatpedal dont get it, keep me in mind

Ron

Old 12-25-2004, 10:32 PM
Senior Chief

the 70 # matching 4spd blue to boot and low miles hands done the 70 if the 71 was # matching it would alot harder for me to choose because bigger is always better to me.

Old 12-27-2004, 02:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sure I'm biased, but I say go with the 70. It's good to have the original block.

Old 12-27-2004, 08:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Only if you plan on selling it later than why worry about it.I know too many people who are scared to death to run they're cars the way they were made to be because "they're affraid to hurt the original block,heads,trans,rear,etc." why even bother stuffing a ton of dough into something you trailer to a car show once or twice a year? Unless thats what gets you going then more power to you,meanwhile I'll be having my own fun!

Old 01-03-2005, 07:59 PM

I would take both cars into consideration, 71 production numbers are lower than the 70 making it a more appealing car. However not having the original engine will hurt the resale of the car if you need to sell it down the road. Given the fact both are 4sp cars doesn't help much either, it's no secret they bring more than an auto car. I personally have a 70 blue/blue car. I chose to put a 455 in it. You may know the car, it was on the cover of HPP April 04. I have modified the car to my liking and don't particularly care about resale.
You have to decide what you want out of the car, a stock numbers car or a radical car built for serious fun. Also you had 2 choices for colors, blue or white, which do you like more? I would also look at which car would require less work to restore. You can use alot of parts you bought on either car most likely. The only real differece is 455 high back buckets or 400 low back buckets. Blue or white. Other than that, they are the same. I would keep both but everything does have a price.
I just started restoring a 70 for a guy in FLa, pulling the 400 and the 4sp out and installing a 500+ hp 455 with a 5sp richmond in it, he said it wasn't fast enough and it needed another gear. It's a white car with black interior. I will be upgrading the brakes and suspension as well. Build either car hwo you want, you can always do like this guy is, tuck the drivetrain under wraps for the next guy!

Old 01-04-2005, 08:28 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Chiefpontiac and pressthatpedal, where in Colorado are you? I've talked to the guy in Lakewood that has the three TA's slowly disintegrating in his front yard. You're right, he has no interest in selling them.

Artie, how is the resto business going? I'd like to see some pic's of the Bewster Green SD that you were working on.

Tim.

73 Trans Am, SD-455, 4-Speed, Brewster Green
73 Formula, 455, 4-Speed, Ascot Silver
73 Formula, 455, Navaho Orange Survivor