Old 10-15-2003, 12:27 PM
Senior Chief

I am in the middle of a heater core replacement and have been stumped on the removal of the heater box assembly. The '69 Pontiac manual states that after removal of 5 nuts that are on studs that protrude through the firewall, that you should get inside the vehicle and the entire heater box assembly can be removed and then you disconnect the control cable and at that point you can pull it out to reveal the heater core and begin to disconnect it for replacement...WRONG!!
All 5 nuts have been removed, cable has been disconnected, and I can't feel or see any other fasteners that need to be removed but it refuses to come out. Did I miss a step somewhere? Anybody got any ideas? I'm just before hooking up a chain and dragging it out! My car is 25% apart and still --no luck. Help. Even in South Georgia you need a heater sometimes. Don

Old 10-15-2003, 12:27 PM
Senior Chief

I am in the middle of a heater core replacement and have been stumped on the removal of the heater box assembly. The '69 Pontiac manual states that after removal of 5 nuts that are on studs that protrude through the firewall, that you should get inside the vehicle and the entire heater box assembly can be removed and then you disconnect the control cable and at that point you can pull it out to reveal the heater core and begin to disconnect it for replacement...WRONG!!
All 5 nuts have been removed, cable has been disconnected, and I can't feel or see any other fasteners that need to be removed but it refuses to come out. Did I miss a step somewhere? Anybody got any ideas? I'm just before hooking up a chain and dragging it out! My car is 25% apart and still --no luck. Help. Even in South Georgia you need a heater sometimes. Don

Old 10-15-2003, 01:57 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have seen from the factory ocasionaly they would use "zip nuts" they look like little flat washers that lock into the threads on the stud.They can be hard to see as they usualy sink into the plastic on the box when the other nuts are tightened over them.Do another visual insp to see if these are there.They usualy come off with a little prying with a screw driver.

http://community.webshots.com/user/stripleduce

Old 10-15-2003, 04:33 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

could it be the sealer between the box and the firewall holding up progress?

Old 10-17-2003, 12:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

'67 heater box has six studs - sure the '69 manual is correct?

Old 10-17-2003, 03:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Murphy's law states: The number of fasteners is always one more than you can find.

Old 10-20-2003, 06:32 AM
Senior Chief

I will keep trying to search out more fasteners before resorting to the chain method--a result of becoming more mellow throughtout the years. According to the manual, you do not remove the AC/box under the hood to accomplish removal of the heater core. It states to remove the nuts that stick through the firewall and then get inside the vehicle and pull off the heater box assembly from inside to get at the heater core. As I read it you never have to touch the AC box under the hood that contains all your AC works. Is this correct??? If not, maybe this is my problem. Please advise. Thanks, Don

Old 10-20-2003, 07:44 AM

do you have the one out that is located behind the inner fender at the far right side of the cowl?

on my 68 i think there's one tha comes from the inside out behind the duct that diverts air to the flor also.

mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 10-20-2003, 11:14 AM
Senior Chief

Mike, I have the one under the dash semi- loose (inside car), that sits behind all the AC ducts. It is supposed to be able to be removed after removing the nuts on the studs which protrude through the firewall and are visible under the hood around the AC Box that contain all the AC works by simply pulling it out then removing a cable to reveal the heater core itself. Then you have a couple of straps or brackets to loosen that hold the heater core in place. But I can only get it to loosen up but it won't pull out so I can get to the heater core?? Do you have to take all that underhood AC/box off to get to the heater core? The '69 Manual does not have anything in it that says all the AC box must be removed so I am not really sure?? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks, Don

Old 10-20-2003, 12:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What Mike said. You have a total of 5 studs and 2 bolts that you have to remove. The far right bolt is a tough one to get at. The '67 manual calls for drilling a 1" hole in the inner fender so you can stick a socket through to get it off, then plugging the hole when you're done. Nothing except the fasteners and hoses come off from inside the engine compartment.

Old 10-20-2003, 12:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via MSN to 428GTO70

Its been quite a few months since I reinstalled my ac box and everything in my 70 GTO but if I remember correctly aside from the 4 or 5 studs on the inner box holding it in, at least one and maybe 2 of the bolts from under the hood holding the outer box on actually go thru the firewall and thread into the inner box. Im not certain but I think thats how it went.
Hope this helps

GR-RRR!

1970 GTO 458 CID .040 over 4 Bolt 428 Block, Forged Eagle 455 Crank, 295 CFM SD KRE D-Ports, SD Old Faithful HR Cam + Comp HR Lifters, PPR Maxx-lite rods, Racetec pistons, PRW 1.65 SS Rockers, 900CFM Holley HP TBI, Performer RPM, Hooker Super Comps, 3" X-Pipe into 2.5" mufflers/tailpipes, 2.75 1st TH400, Continental 13" Converter, 8.5" 3.08 Posi.
Everything installed, fired up and tuning has begun!
Old 10-20-2003, 05:35 PM

i'm pretty sure that you'll need to remove the bolt behind the fenderwell to get the inside box out.

i dug out the 69 service manual i have, but the directions in it are pretty vague.

on my 68 i pulled the inner fender to gain access to the hidden bolt.

try putting a small prybar beind the head of the bolt that won't come out all the way and gently pry the head while turning it. this should get it past the stripped spot in the threads.

mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 10-21-2003, 07:05 AM
Senior Chief

I'll try those suggestions. Maybe I can locate the offending culprit fastener SOON! I have the inner fender well out of the car as well as the passenger seat, AC ductwork, kickpanel, glovebox, 8-track tapeplayer. etc, etc. I will run my fingers around the edges and see if I can locate the problem. Thanks, Don

Old 10-23-2003, 05:54 PM

Blue,
Putting mine back in this weekend. '69 non-air. Had to replace the heater coil.
There are 5 bolts, plus the control cables, and that's all.
But, after 30+ years, the rubber/insulation had really become one with the box! I took a putty knife and went the whole way around under the dash to get the unit loose.
Did NOT need to do anything with the inner fender or any other under-hood tampering - just the nuts on the bolts.
Good luck!