Old 04-02-2004, 01:34 AM

Hey there as you can see im new to the board...
Im a TA guy in whole but I have a chance to buy a 72 Le Mans ....Problem is I dont think its worth the 6850 this guys asking for it ....and I dont know enough facts to backup a bargan with him ...

Its a 72 with a 400ci, 350th Auto *i assume he means 350 turbo trann* it has silver paint which is fresh and many minor SURFACE imperfections...the wheels are a spinoff creagor 5star look with the left side missing its spinner caps, tan cloth interior with the back deck all ganked up ....
I have yet to call the guy and look any deeper than what I just described....

Please keep in mind Im in the AirForce in Japan...I just got here and already miss my Bird but do love the Lemans/GTO as well and cant afford to spend too much...Jap cars JUST DONT cut it...

I need an info site or spec sheet for options for a 72 LeMans/Tempist/Sport so I can wheel and deal with guy .....

THANKS

Old 04-02-2004, 01:34 AM

Hey there as you can see im new to the board...
Im a TA guy in whole but I have a chance to buy a 72 Le Mans ....Problem is I dont think its worth the 6850 this guys asking for it ....and I dont know enough facts to backup a bargan with him ...

Its a 72 with a 400ci, 350th Auto *i assume he means 350 turbo trann* it has silver paint which is fresh and many minor SURFACE imperfections...the wheels are a spinoff creagor 5star look with the left side missing its spinner caps, tan cloth interior with the back deck all ganked up ....
I have yet to call the guy and look any deeper than what I just described....

Please keep in mind Im in the AirForce in Japan...I just got here and already miss my Bird but do love the Lemans/GTO as well and cant afford to spend too much...Jap cars JUST DONT cut it...

I need an info site or spec sheet for options for a 72 LeMans/Tempist/Sport so I can wheel and deal with guy .....

THANKS

Old 04-02-2004, 05:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Sounds high to me. If no buckets or console or endura front end it is way too high. Original motor? If not price goes down again. A standard Lemans can be picked up for 3 to 5000 anyday in the US. If you dont feel right about it pass

Old 04-02-2004, 01:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Way too high. Check bottom of front fender to get cid. If T350 then 400 is not original or T350 is not original. I agree that if no buckets and console then too much. If you are a body man and can fix the stuff (or have access to one) it is still too high. Will you keep it and have it shipped back or will you sell at the end of the tour? Will Uncle Sam ship it for you? Getting all the stuff to fix it will be expensive. This site owner (Performance Years) sells a lot of the stuff you may need. Shipping will kill you unless it goes to an apo/fpo.

In 1972 the pecking order was Luxury LeMans/LeMans Sport/LeMans. Any available engine (V8 inc. 455HO) could be had in any 2 dr. Endura nose (GTO type)was also available on any 2 dr. (I am talking post or ht). The GTO had reverted to an option and was not a separate series as in the past. There was also a GT package with a sword stripe available.

For $35 you can contact PHS (link availabe at top of page) with SN for car and they can tell you all that it came with.

I would check the block (drivers side underneath up by the freeze plug in front) to check CID as 69 and later have the cid cast into the block.

Check the links at the top for Wallace Racing for all the engine/head/manifold (int and ex) numbers.

Hope all this helps. Keep us informed and all will be glad to help.

Old 04-03-2004, 06:39 AM

hea thanks for the info .... if I did get it i would keep it for good **i dont go through carfs like people go through underwear if you know what I mean, had a 79' TA once before i moved to England 4yrs ago and was stupid enough to sell it, now I regreat it****

I agree I feel 6850 is way to much ....

did that year base or any other trim LeMans come with a 400/350 combo?

thanks again

Old 04-03-2004, 11:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

400/350 did not occur until some time in the mid '70's due to space and catalytic converters.