Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 10-13-2003, 03:56 PM

I am puzzled about the oil flow on the Pontiac V8 engine. I was looking at an oil flow diagram in a Chilton's manual and it shows the oil passes through the filter then travels through the left (driver) side of the engine, then to the front main and then up and through the right side. If this is correct, then how did my 400 manage to run dry on the left side, yet have plenty of oil on the right. It seems if the left side got clogged all other passages would be dry. Also my timing chain was dry. All rockers on the right bank were saturated with oil and before I tore the engine down, oil preassure was about 35psi.

Old 10-13-2003, 03:56 PM

I am puzzled about the oil flow on the Pontiac V8 engine. I was looking at an oil flow diagram in a Chilton's manual and it shows the oil passes through the filter then travels through the left (driver) side of the engine, then to the front main and then up and through the right side. If this is correct, then how did my 400 manage to run dry on the left side, yet have plenty of oil on the right. It seems if the left side got clogged all other passages would be dry. Also my timing chain was dry. All rockers on the right bank were saturated with oil and before I tore the engine down, oil preassure was about 35psi.

Old 10-13-2003, 05:28 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I would suspect that the oil gallies in the crank could have fed enough oil to the front main and up the galley that feeds the right side of the block as to why the timing chain was dry I can only suspect that the galley in the front from the frnt main to the cam journal was also clogged or the cam bearings were not installed correctly.

http://community.webshots.com/user/stripleduce

Old 10-16-2003, 12:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The Chilton manual is correct in the oil circulation. What's strange is how the complete left side would be robbed of lubrication. Could someone have done work on the left side of the engine and replaced part of the valve train with incorrect pieces - like pushrods with solid tips that wouldn't allow oil to flow to the pushrods?

Old 10-16-2003, 08:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I would say the small passages from the left galley to the lifter bores were clogged,with the left galley open enough to let oil flow to the right side.

Same for the chain,the hole is small enough to clog still letting the oil thru the main passage.

Have you tore it apart yet?

Run a rifle brush down the galleys to see how much crud is in there.

johnta1
Pontiac Power RULES !!!
www.wallaceracing.com

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates