Old 10-02-2002, 08:32 AM

What were the purpose of the Ram Air preheater connections?
GTO Restoration Guide states that one preheater hose was used on RA III applications and 2 were used on RA IV.
What is the purpose of these hoses, and if I am doing a Restification (restoration+modification) how important are they to reinstall along with repro RA fiberglass pans?

I am not so concerned with being "correct" (Not original motor/trans, so a concours winner is not my goal, just a super clean, great running street car with as much power as possible.)

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]
-Doo

When you give a man a fish, you feed him for one day. When you give a man a cow, you feed him for 3 weeks.

Old 10-02-2002, 08:32 AM

What were the purpose of the Ram Air preheater connections?
GTO Restoration Guide states that one preheater hose was used on RA III applications and 2 were used on RA IV.
What is the purpose of these hoses, and if I am doing a Restification (restoration+modification) how important are they to reinstall along with repro RA fiberglass pans?

I am not so concerned with being "correct" (Not original motor/trans, so a concours winner is not my goal, just a super clean, great running street car with as much power as possible.)

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]
-Doo

When you give a man a fish, you feed him for one day. When you give a man a cow, you feed him for 3 weeks.

Old 10-02-2002, 07:20 PM

I would not be concerned unless you are planning on driving in cold climate conditions.
The purpose of the preheat duct was to bring warm air from around the ex. manifold to the carb when the engine was cold. Engine vacuum opened the upper pan actuators to allow this air in. The system was designed to close (through lack of vacuum)when the engine warmed up.
To get the 69/70 RA fiberglass system to work you will need the diaphragm actuator assemblies that are inside the original and steel repop upper pans. They are available by themselves repop but not cheap. (Technically you would only need one for the RA3) These are needed to shut the warm airflow off when the engine warms up.
(From a performance standpoint, you would not want a continuous flow of warm air)

Old 10-03-2002, 06:48 PM

Thanks for the answer.

Old 10-03-2002, 09:40 PM
On Vacation

Eat 700+lbs of beef in 3 weeks...you have a hell of an appetite. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

Old 10-05-2002, 09:19 AM

(Scared mooing in background)

*BUUURRRP*

'scuse me..

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

When you give a man a fish, you feed him for one day. When you give a man a cow, you feed him for 3 months.