Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 05-17-2003, 08:52 AM
Senior Chief

Okay. This may sound totally out there, but I'd like to know if this is practical.

I have a '78 Trans Am with 15 x 8 Snowflakes. I want much wider meats on the rear, with an 11" wide rim. But I want to maintain the traditional Trans Am Snowflake rim look.

Here's the idea: have a shop cut the Snowflake wheel down the middle, and weld in a 3" spacer. Will this create balance or strength problems? Would it be cost prohibitive?

Old 05-17-2003, 08:52 AM
Senior Chief

Okay. This may sound totally out there, but I'd like to know if this is practical.

I have a '78 Trans Am with 15 x 8 Snowflakes. I want much wider meats on the rear, with an 11" wide rim. But I want to maintain the traditional Trans Am Snowflake rim look.

Here's the idea: have a shop cut the Snowflake wheel down the middle, and weld in a 3" spacer. Will this create balance or strength problems? Would it be cost prohibitive?

Old 05-17-2003, 11:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Cost prohibitive? I don't understand the reasoning behind that question as you want a custom made 11" wide Snowflake. Custom does not equal cheap.

I like the idea however, as I don't think I've ever seen any Pontiac with custom wide Snowflakes on it.

Adding just the spacer is going to make the rims "off center" with more tire toward the inside of the rim than out.

Here's an idea that I think would look great if it could be pulled off:

Add 1.5" to the center of the rim and add 1.5" to the outside next to the bead. This will about double the width of the machined lip that is already there on 15x8 Snowflakes, giving them more of a "deep dish" appeance.

It's going to take a rim shop that is good at cutting and welding, as well as buffing/polishing, but the end result will be dynamite, I think.

Old 05-17-2003, 12:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Youre first problem will be locating a machine shop that would even consider touching this kind of work. Should you find a shop that can do this mod, and is willing to work with you, it will not be a cheap deal. You are talking about taking a modified wheel out on the public highway. Any kind of failure could expose the machine shop to very large legal liability costs. And why would you want to put your safety, and the safety of others at risk by even considering doing something like this on the cheap.

Old 05-17-2003, 01:29 PM

Do a search on wider snowflakes. I think i remember a member of this board who had his snowflakes widened and made skinnies. I forgot his name but I did save a picture of his TA.

Old 05-17-2003, 01:37 PM

Found the link.
Wide and Skinny snowflakes

Old 05-22-2003, 07:37 AM
Senior Chief

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by YoungOne79TA:
Do a search on wider snowflakes. I think i remember a member of this board who had his snowflakes widened and made skinnies. I forgot his name but I did save a picture of his TA.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Damn, that T/A looks good (the rear wheels at least). I'm giving the guy who did the work a call, and see what he'll do. I'll post results as they occur.