Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 06-04-2001, 12:22 PM
Senior Chief

I just converted my 65 Tempest from a straight 6 with a st 300 to 400 with 200 4r. I finally got all the kinks worked out, but now it's scarry to drive with the drum brakes. I would like to go to discs. I want to do this asap, and I want to do it as cheaply as possible. I was told that disc and drum spindles are the same for 64-72 A body cars so all I need is a caliper and a mounting bracket and a rotor. (I could use the same bearings.) Of course a booster and proportioning valve. Is this true? Are there any other cosideratins? Thank you

|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||
>> |...BEER TRUCK..........| ||'|";, ___.
>> |_..._..._______===|=||_|__|..., ] -
>> "(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
Old 06-04-2001, 12:22 PM
Senior Chief

I just converted my 65 Tempest from a straight 6 with a st 300 to 400 with 200 4r. I finally got all the kinks worked out, but now it's scarry to drive with the drum brakes. I would like to go to discs. I want to do this asap, and I want to do it as cheaply as possible. I was told that disc and drum spindles are the same for 64-72 A body cars so all I need is a caliper and a mounting bracket and a rotor. (I could use the same bearings.) Of course a booster and proportioning valve. Is this true? Are there any other cosideratins? Thank you

|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||
>> |...BEER TRUCK..........| ||'|";, ___.
>> |_..._..._______===|=||_|__|..., ] -
>> "(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
Old 06-04-2001, 01:36 PM

I am in the same situation with my 72 LeMans Convertible.

I am just getting this car ready to put on the road and have installed an engine with about 340hp. I am a concerned about braking with the drums.

There are not a lot of this vintage cars in Canada in the wrecking yards so it would be nice to know if any other cars had the same brake parts to increase my chances of finding the pieces required.

I totaled my nice 57 Chev pickup which had drum brakes when traffic stopped on an expressway faster than I could. I also have a 58 vette with drums and while the brakes work it is definately the weakest point of the car.

Old 06-04-2001, 02:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Check suspension forum.