Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 04-21-2003, 08:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

On my new '66 Bonneville I noticed when I drove it home that the front wheels are making this noise. You know what a big truck with mud tires driving on asphalt sounds like, that wierd droning sound? Well thats what my car sounds like. At first I thought the front tires were underinflated. I put my cragars and tires off my other car that didn't make that sound and its still making the sound. Sound is in conjuntion with the rotation of the tires. Im thinking the front bearings need to be regreased or replaced. Any other ideas??

Give me a thumbs up, tell me "Nice Car!", but for god's sake, don't call it an Impala.

Old 04-21-2003, 08:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

On my new '66 Bonneville I noticed when I drove it home that the front wheels are making this noise. You know what a big truck with mud tires driving on asphalt sounds like, that wierd droning sound? Well thats what my car sounds like. At first I thought the front tires were underinflated. I put my cragars and tires off my other car that didn't make that sound and its still making the sound. Sound is in conjuntion with the rotation of the tires. Im thinking the front bearings need to be regreased or replaced. Any other ideas??

Give me a thumbs up, tell me "Nice Car!", but for god's sake, don't call it an Impala.

Old 04-21-2003, 08:49 PM

Hey Joe! Try painting the wheels "Red Baron Red" by Dupont! Maybe that will help........

Tax return is here and the pressure is on!

Old 04-21-2003, 09:36 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Bearings would be my guess.

Old 04-22-2003, 07:55 AM

it sounds like bad wheel bearings. does the noise change when you turn a corner?

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 04-22-2003, 09:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I just went out and checked the bearings and put new brakes up front. The bearings were fine and it still makes the noise. What I did notice was, someone took the sheild off the flywheel and never put it back on. I wonder if its the sound of the flywheel spinning in the wind. Im gonna put one off my other cars and see if the sound goes away.

Old 04-22-2003, 09:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My wife's '69 sounded the same way you described when the radiator fan clutch locked up and was spitting pieces of bearing material everywhere.

TIGER EFI - Electronic Fuel Injection for the Traditional Pontiac Engine. bill@tigerefi.com

462 cid/ 6x-4/ TH400/ 3.36:1/ 28x10.5/ 3880#/ 12.35 @ 109.36/ 1.69 60 ft/ 4 wheel disc brakes/ 15 mpg