Old 04-02-2001, 05:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

i have a 65 389 and my timing case cover is about wore out does anyone know if i can put a later year case and waterpump on it and up to what year? I spotted a 70 in a junk yard will that work do i need to change the fuel pump or anything else any help will be appreciated

Old 04-02-2001, 05:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

i have a 65 389 and my timing case cover is about wore out does anyone know if i can put a later year case and waterpump on it and up to what year? I spotted a 70 in a junk yard will that work do i need to change the fuel pump or anything else any help will be appreciated

Old 04-02-2001, 09:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

As far as I know the full size cars past 64' should be interchangeable. Make note of your bolt patterns. Water pumps should be the same.

Old 04-02-2001, 11:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You can put a latter model timing cover on but make shure you get all the pullies and the ballancer because they are different.

Old 04-03-2001, 11:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Might post what year range of brackets & matching pulleys you are going to use as well, as not all brackets will mount up to the 65 heads.

Old 04-03-2001, 03:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

i have found a 1970 400 timing case cover i looked at it again and will definetly have to use the 70 harmonic balancer i assume they are compatible with the 65 389 will i have to change fuels pumps to or will they be the same thanks for help bob

Old 04-03-2001, 04:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

With all that swapping, you are opening up a can of worms. Save your anxiety, and get a good used 64-67 timing chain cover. I am not just saying that because I have one to sell either.

Old 04-04-2001, 07:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

TxBobCat-

I agree with Andre- avoid all the hassle and use something more compatible.

Best case, there lots of us on this board with "spares" who can help and worst case, there are more donor mid-'60s Pontiacs in wrecking yards around you than you might think...

I am sure that the application range that fits your 389 without all the shuck-&-jive is '63-'66 (however early '63 covers use the circular-flange 4-bolt water pump)- '67s may also be a drop-in part, but I personally have not tried it.

Starting in '66, Pontiac began using a numeric index on the timing cover, instead of a timing "pointer"; this gives you a better idea where your timing is than the two hash marks scribed onto the balancer.

Be sure to re-use the stamped sheet metal flow directors (that are sandwiched between the water pump and timing cover)! if your old ones are rusted thru, use ones without holes...if not, I believe that you're asking for water circulation problems and probably high operating temps.

~Matt in Milwaukee

Old 04-04-2001, 08:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Andre is right, I wouldn't want all those mix-matched pieces on the motor.

Old 04-07-2001, 07:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

thanks for all your help i ended up using a 77 case and pump reason being is that i could get parts no problems in switching it over ended up using my harmonic balancer but the 77 water pump pully.i was able to get the new pump plate from the dealer for $10 water pump new cost me $16 and new fuel pump was $19. as alays i was in a hurry couldnt find plates for the 65 oe even a gasket for water pump fuel pump was $29 and had to order only differnce is the later pump sticks out about half an inch farther which was not a problem once i used that newer pulley they wanted $65 for the 65 water pump and again had to order did have to change one belt and actually could have used the old fuel pump to. got the cat back on the road last night and put the top down 82 degrees here