Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 06-06-2005, 06:23 PM

I am currently rebuilding the rear suspension on my 65 lemans. I have read that I should throw away the gas shocks and go with gas....Done. However which is the best option for the rear....Antihop bars or traction bars. Is there a difference in what they do or affect the car? Any suggestions welcomed. Thanks

Old 06-06-2005, 06:23 PM

I am currently rebuilding the rear suspension on my 65 lemans. I have read that I should throw away the gas shocks and go with gas....Done. However which is the best option for the rear....Antihop bars or traction bars. Is there a difference in what they do or affect the car? Any suggestions welcomed. Thanks

Old 06-06-2005, 07:39 PM

travtion bars or slapper bars are generally used with leaf springs.

i'd look into a set of the no hop units.

also on these frames put the 4spd braces into it if not already there.

mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 06-06-2005, 08:09 PM

4spd braces? Are these frame braces? Thanks

Old 06-06-2005, 08:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The 4 speed braces connect the upper and lower control arm mounts thereby strengthening the upper mounts. They are available in aftermarket or repro of the original factory parts.

1979 Trans Am 400, 4-speed, 4 wheel disc.

View from the drivers seat racing down Atco Raceway- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhYDMdOEC7A

Ride along in the other lane-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIzgpLtF_uw
Old 06-06-2005, 08:15 PM

yes, they run from the side rails to the crossmember behind the rear seat to reduce frame deflection on the stacked headlamp cars.

mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 06-07-2005, 09:19 AM

Does anyone have a picture of the 4 speed braces installed?

Thank you
Harold

Old 06-07-2005, 05:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hi all,
I had really bad wheel hop in my 65 GTO, and from asking a lot of questions on this forum it was in agreement that most of my problem was the control arm bushings. So this past winter I installed new upper and lower arms from BMR fabrication. When I talked to their tech. he highly recomened using the braces, especially on a 4sp. car with increased horsepower. I installed them myself with moderate ease and I do not pretend to be a great mechanic. I did have to make a small dent in one of my mufflers to clear the bolt on one of the braces. (I installed my exaust myself to and one muffler was slightly closer then the other side, you might not have that problem). Installed new shocks and It cured 99% of my wheel hop problem. Now I need to look into better tires for traction. I need to find a good tire that will fit on my 14x6 hurst wheels
Dave

Old 06-08-2005, 12:01 PM

I assume you will be doing some drag racing and that is why you posted. Another option is the Hop Stop bars made by Indian Adventures. These are replacement boxed lower control arms that are installed slightly lower to correct your suspension geometry. Several of my club members swear by them and say these cured the traction problem. Other companies make similar arms like Southside Machine.
Alfred