Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 02-08-2003, 01:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ok this might be a dumb question, but does it matter what side it goes on? i was thinking about the drivers side. any helps thanks

My 1970 firebird being turned into a 73 t/a clone g-machine. brewster green of course. lowered 1 inch. 17's all around.

Old 02-08-2003, 01:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ok this might be a dumb question, but does it matter what side it goes on? i was thinking about the drivers side. any helps thanks

My 1970 firebird being turned into a 73 t/a clone g-machine. brewster green of course. lowered 1 inch. 17's all around.

Old 02-08-2003, 03:55 PM

The passenger side behind the rear wheel is usually the spot most racers will pick. It puts the weight in a location that helps traction when drag racing (right rear tire tries to lift due to the torque reaction of the chassis). Also helps to balance the chassis by helping to offset the driver's weight. Locating it on the right is best.

Let's go racing!
www.outlawpontiacs.com/members/B-Man2.php
www.outlawpontiacs.com/members/B-Man.php

Old 02-08-2003, 07:07 PM

What he said... The whole idea of loose front ends, 90/10 shocks, etc... is to get the unsprung weight over the back wheels, which is what you are doing with this modification. Chevrolet even did it on a few of their factory race units. It helps. Ron.

Old 02-08-2003, 09:02 PM

I couldn't figure out why I was going through so many trunk mounted batteries (I have 2) until a marine engineer pointed out to me that my batteries were mounted incorrectly. According to Doug the zink plates have little to no strength & all the acid sloshing back at launch was causing my dead shorts & ultimately battery failure. I remounted them so the acid flows back at launch through the plates & not against them & I haven't had a problem since.

Old 02-09-2003, 07:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

One important comment missing here. If you are racing nhra and ihra, and have a trunk mounted battery, they require a master cutoff switch mounted on the rearmost part of the vehicle. If you are using the push pull switch(mounted in the trunk) the off position must be push. This rule was instituted in order to shut off electrics, when an incident occures on the track. If you are running an alternator you will have to purchase a kit to shutdown the alternator when operating either of these type of switch's. If your not fickle about wire length, on single wire alternators ,just run the wire to one side of the master cutoff and the other side back to the ignition. This way when the master cutoff is open it will shut down the vehicle. If you don't do this or add the kit the engine keeps running on the alternator.

BIGGERISBETTER

Old 02-09-2003, 10:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Absolutely correct on the alternator. Painless makes a solenoid that will shut down even the 200 amp alternators, and allow a nice short charging wire run. If youre in the tech line, and they turn the master power switch off and your cars engine/fuel pumps dont shut down, youre a spectator.