Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 04-29-2005, 08:02 PM

I have a 71 455 shortblock to rebuild. I am looking for suggestions on rods, pistons, cam, and heads.I would like to get 550 to 600 HP and run pump gas. This would be going in a 78 Trans Am that would be a weekend cruiser with an occasional trip to the drag strip. The block is a 2 bolt main but is drilled for 4 bolt main caps.Does this sound like a realistic goal? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 04-29-2005, 08:02 PM

I have a 71 455 shortblock to rebuild. I am looking for suggestions on rods, pistons, cam, and heads.I would like to get 550 to 600 HP and run pump gas. This would be going in a 78 Trans Am that would be a weekend cruiser with an occasional trip to the drag strip. The block is a 2 bolt main but is drilled for 4 bolt main caps.Does this sound like a realistic goal? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 04-29-2005, 08:18 PM

http://carcraft.com/techarticles/116...omb/index.html

Here is a site that has a good article.

BB

Old 04-29-2005, 10:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A couple years ago in HPP or Pontiac Ent., they covered an engine that Ken from H-O Racing did that just might be what you would like.

Old 05-03-2005, 06:53 PM

Thanks for the web site BB1968. It gave the information on compression heads, and cam used. Does anyone have an opinion on rods and pistons ? Should I buy four bolt main caps ? I would like to go with a roller cam. Any suggestions ? I would appreciate any info on these items.

Old 05-03-2005, 08:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A good rod for the money is Crower .

Old 05-04-2005, 05:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Jim Taylor article from HPP-
It's linked in three parts from this page-
Running and Racing Reliably, parts I,II and III

Old 05-04-2005, 05:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

600 horses? A 4-bolt would help keep things inside, but whether or not it's absolutely necessary is questionable. Rather expensive to convert.

Eagle 6.8" rods (BBC rod journal, .990 pin) combined with Ross or SRP pistons makes for a bullit-proof bottom end. Yes, the Crower Sportsman is a good rod. No, it isn't "better" than the Eagle. If you stick with Pontiac dimensions, the Crower is as cost-effective. Once you cross over to the BBC specs, the Eagle is better for the money.

Old 05-04-2005, 09:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

As stated in a recent magazine article ...

"Spend all the money on the heads, then the intake, then cam. The bottom end doesn't matter much after that."

In this article they were refering to the bottom ends parameters, not the quality of parts going into it. Use not only quality parts but watch the recopricating weight as well.

One sure way not to go wrong is to duplicate a known, tested combination. Or at least use it as a guide, but keeping in mind the more exceptions to the plan, the greater the devition in the end product. You can be off by 20, 50 or more horsepower from a known combination, thanks to a "slightly different" intake, carb, and cam.

That said, take a look at the specifications in my bio as only one example out there. My pump gas street motor made 580-600 hp on the dyno depending on the intake used.

Sponsor of the world's fastest Pontiac powered Ford Fairmont (engine)
5.14 at 140 mph (1/8 mile) , true 10.5 tire, stock type suspension
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDoJnIP3HgE
Old 05-05-2005, 05:02 PM

Thanks to everyone for your help.I am still learning as I go with this project. Mr.P Body, I did not know you could use a BBC rod in a pontiac engine. Steve, I looked at your 455 buildup. Very nice. I have a 400 in the car now. When I build this 455, I want a real strong street/strip engine. The only thing that concerns me with the 455 is the car has T Tops. Does anyone have any experience with alot of horsepower in a T Top car ? I do plan on installing sub frame connectors