Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 08-20-2005, 04:48 PM

Angry Tranny leaking from downshift cable? Help!

Hi, I have a 79' Trans am (Olds 403)

The transmission is leaking from where the downshift cable (detent cable) attachs to the transmission.

I removed the cable to find a rubber boot and an "O" ring. I went to the local auto parts store and they sold me a new O ring. They said the boot is just a dust shield and a new O ring would do the trick. I can't see how it's just a dust shield, but ok for now. I put the new O ring in and it still leaks. any ideas? it seems to leak only when the car is shut off. when it is running I cant see any fluid leaking out.

Any ideas?

PS I am not new to the forums, but I couldn't log in under my old name (CannedHeat) so I had to make a new acount.

Thanks for any help,
Scott

Old 08-20-2005, 06:44 PM
Senior Chief

TH350?

i have one, too, and it was leaking too.

when engine runs, fluid level sinks under where this cable is attached. when shut off, fluid flows back from upper sections into "pan" and fills everything quite a lot.

i would say, it's correct that the o-ring should make it. the dust shield is higher.

make sure that everything is clean and has smooth surfaces where the o-ring comes in. try adding some soft sealant. make sure it is not the dipstick tube that leaks. don't overfill the transmission.

my goat and my wife: both are beloved, both are reliable and both are expensive!
Old 08-20-2005, 07:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Did your kickdown cable have a groove in it for the seal to slip into. If not the O-ring style seal will not work. Go to you NAPA store and order a atp 17154 seal. This is the style you should need. The seal will kind of look like a top hat. HTH

www.jandjrepairandrestoration
Old 08-20-2005, 11:45 PM

Default Thanks for the help !

There is no groove for the O ring. I do believe it is the top hat style. Looks like a rubber boot to me. It slides into the opening in the tranny where the downshift cable hooks up. I appreciate the responses. I will have to go to Napa on Monday and order the part.

Thanks again,
Scott

Old 08-24-2005, 10:20 PM

Default Didnt' Fit :-(

Hi, I just received the O ring gasket today from Napa # 17154. Doesn't fit the transmission. It is too big. The hole is approx 3/8" in diameter and the new O ring is over 1/2". I sent an email to Napa asking if they sent the right part. (no response yet) The picture on their website and this part do not match. I searched the napa website and that part number came up on a ton of years for Trans am's. So I am 99% sure it is the right part #.

We'll see what their response is.

Thanks again for the help,
Scott

Old 08-25-2005, 09:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I believe the #17154 is not the right number for a TH350 trans but is the correct one for a 200 4R or 700 4R as these have a larger diameter hole for the detent or TV cable. NAPA shows this same number to fit the TH350 and 200 4R or 700 4R. I know that they won't interechange. You might be better off finding a transmission shop and getting one from them. I you have trouble finding one let me know and I should be able to help you.

Old 08-25-2005, 09:05 PM

Default Thanks for the response

I spoke with one transmission shop today and left a message on anothers phone. The one I spoke with didn't really give me the time of day. He said the don't have the part to sell by itself, it only comes in a complete rebuild kit. I tried to ask what the part number was or where I might find it. He was too busy and had to go. Nice guy! Great for business.

Any help you might have would be awesome.

Question, what if I purchased a new detent cable? would it come with a new gasket?

Thanks again for your help,

Scott

Old 08-26-2005, 09:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudLight

Question, what if I purchased a new detent cable? would it come with a new gasket?

Thanks again for your help,

Scott
It may not have. If you are interested, I can supply the correct seal for you. Email me at gtojw@westriv.com or PM me.

Old 08-29-2005, 05:34 PM
On Vacation

I had a leaky dipstick tube on my 79 t/a and I solved the problem with a home made gasket out of a bicycle inner tube. I recommend trying that idea with the kick down mount location.