Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 09-30-2005, 04:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Power VS.Manual Brakes

I'm going to be upgrading my brakes this winter. I currently have the stock '64 GTO power drum system. I'm going to go with the B-body, 12" rotor, tall spindle setup. I don't know if I'll go for aftermarket A-arms or try to make my originals work. Either way, I'm thinking about whether I'll retain a power booster or not. My thinking is, first the power booster is heavy and obtrusive. Second, do I really need it with the big brakes? Has anyone eliminated their booster in a similar swap? How is the pedal feel compared to the original? Any input would be appreciated, on the booster, the A-arms, and the tall spindle setup.

Old 10-02-2005, 06:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Bump! (Waving arms wildly) Look at me!

Old 10-02-2005, 08:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Pedal feel is more linear, you have more travel but can modulate the braking better.

Old 10-03-2005, 11:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: The ObamaNation we once called the United States of America

I have never changed a car from power to manual. I do however own 2 cars with manual brakes and I like them better than the cars I have with power brakes....pedal feel is a little more stiff but its not bad.

Old 10-03-2005, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchmitz
I'm going to be upgrading my brakes this winter. I currently have the stock '64 GTO power drum system. I'm going to go with the B-body, 12" rotor, tall spindle setup. I don't know if I'll go for aftermarket A-arms or try to make my originals work. Either way, I'm thinking about whether I'll retain a power booster or not. My thinking is, first the power booster is heavy and obtrusive. Second, do I really need it with the big brakes? Has anyone eliminated their booster in a similar swap? How is the pedal feel compared to the original? Any input would be appreciated, on the booster, the A-arms, and the tall spindle setup.
You don't need the booster. Manual brakes have a solid pedal feel and stop the car very well with no issues.

Mine has '78 B-spindles/12" discs/Hotchkis upper A-arms. Definitely use the better handling aftermarket A-arms, with stock arms you'll need a huge stack of alignment shims that can lead to bolt breakage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dsc00844.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	155.4 KB
ID:	28902  

Old 10-03-2005, 11:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

with 12" brakes it will be tiptoe pressure either way wont it?

Old 10-04-2005, 02:45 AM
Senior Chief

I have tall spindles, 12" MANUAL brakes, global west upper arms (definitely get upper arms). the brakes feel great. i just talked to global west again recently; i asked if i could also use REAR discs with the manual master cylinder they gave me 5 years ago... was told YES.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	555.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	28910