67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 01-03-2000, 10:18 PM
Senior Chief

Less then a year into a new 4 core desert cooler radiator in my 69 firebird I noticed a puddle of anti freeze under the car. Upon inspection I found the drivers side tank is being pulled out of the core. The radiator is bolted to the support the way the old one was and it was only replaced for the needed increase in cooling. I checked my PY catalog for some kind of rubber mounting gromet that might go between the radiator and the support to take up for body flex, but did not find anything. Am I missing something here?

Old 01-03-2000, 10:18 PM
Senior Chief

Less then a year into a new 4 core desert cooler radiator in my 69 firebird I noticed a puddle of anti freeze under the car. Upon inspection I found the drivers side tank is being pulled out of the core. The radiator is bolted to the support the way the old one was and it was only replaced for the needed increase in cooling. I checked my PY catalog for some kind of rubber mounting gromet that might go between the radiator and the support to take up for body flex, but did not find anything. Am I missing something here?

Old 01-04-2000, 12:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You might be. When I put my '68 together, I installed the radiator with 4 bolts/washers/nuts. One day I was looking at the core support wondering why Chevrolet would design such a piece of crap (I'm no Chevy fan, but the first gen cars are Camaros with a little different sheetmetal), when I noticed a rotted grommet. After perusing several catalogs, I came across these little things called well nuts.
Basically these are grommets with nuts in the center, and as you tighten them they expand into the holes. I don't remember which company I bought them from, but you can probably pick them up from a hardware store.
In all honesty, they were a big pain in the butt to juggle around while holding the radiator, but you need something to absorb the vibration.
My buddy just installed a Desert Cooler in his 68 and it looks like a good unit. Since I have not put one in mine yet, I'm going to guess that you could put rubber spacers between the brackets and the core, if you don't want to use the well nuts.
Check it out, it might save you some additional cash.
Later

------------------
John

Old 01-04-2000, 08:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The part is called well nuts and could be found at Pep Boys and other auto stores. If you cannot find them you could try a well stocked auto body part store. make sure they fit correctly or the rubber/nut can pop out from the core. Rgds, Steve

Old 01-04-2000, 07:10 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks John and Steve. That's exactly what was missing. Found them at the Napa Store.
Definatly not a common item as no one there had a clue what I needed till we pulled the books out.
Hope the radiator shop can reseat the core with a little heat on the solder.

Old 01-04-2000, 07:44 PM

Do you remember the part number at Napa? I'll be putting my radiator back in in a few months. Maybe I'll beat the crowd.

Old 01-05-2000, 06:14 PM
Senior Chief

Well nuts 1/4"-20 1/2" od
Napa part # 665-2080 (Tried and fit)
ask for the box of 6.

Old 10-28-2005, 01:25 AM
Senior Chief

Cool Missing Well nuts

My 69 had the rad mounted direct when it was replaced at some point, as I had it on the road for about a year when the rad came apart. My rad guy ordered another one & put the missing well nuts in. It's been fine ever since.

Old 10-31-2005, 05:28 PM
Senior Chief

Can any one of you guys post a picture of these things and how they work?

I'm gonna assemble the front end of my '69 within a few days.
Unfortunately I never disassembled it to begin with. And I don't know what's going where and if I've got all the right parts together of if somethings missing....

Erik

'71 LeMans Woody Wagon 400/350 patina project
1975 Grand Am 400 factory sunroof project car