Old 11-03-2005, 03:05 PM
Senior Chief

Send a message via AIM to Robert Imhof Send a message via MSN to Robert Imhof

The $1300+ A/C kit doesn't include the necessary pullys?

Old 11-03-2005, 03:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Imhof
The $1300+ A/C kit doesn't include the necessary pullys?
Nope.......

"I open up three deuces, I'm Never Coming Back!"

Old 11-03-2005, 03:30 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripower455
Nope.......
So then I need to browse through e-bay or buy expensive March pullys? Brackets too?

Old 11-03-2005, 04:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Imhof
So then I need to browse through e-bay or buy expensive March pullys? Brackets too?
Maybe.....

The only different bracket you'll need is the compressor bracket, which I am not sure comes with the kit either. VA makes a nice one that is very clean and fits perfectly.

I couldn't get any of the stock AC crank pulleys that I have to work with my aftermarket balancer. Conversely, my buddy with a '71 TA was able to use his stock AC pulleys with his SFI balancer (the same one I had originally), but he didn't want to take it apart to get the numbers off it.

If it weren't for the crank pulley, I would have been able to use all OEM Pontiac pulleys. I ended up with a set of March underdriven billet pulleys, which look/work great, but the crank pulley is too small.

I did have to adjust the spacing on a few of them to gety everything to line up, but I have a '74 engine with '77 heads, a '66 intake, a '70 PS/alternator bracket etc. etc.etc...... It would be easy if you already have a stock setup.

I am unsucessfully trying to find a larger, 3 groove crank pulley now.....

"I open up three deuces, I'm Never Coming Back!"

Old 11-03-2005, 04:36 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripower455
Maybe.....

The only different bracket you'll need is the compressor bracket, which I am not sure comes with the kit either. VA makes a nice one that is very clean and fits perfectly.

I couldn't get any of the stock AC crank pulleys that I have to work with my aftermarket balancer. Conversely, my buddy with a '71 TA was able to use his stock AC pulleys with his SFI balancer (the same one I had originally), but he didn't want to take it apart to get the numbers off it.

If it weren't for the crank pulley, I would have been able to use all OEM Pontiac pulleys. I ended up with a set of March underdriven billet pulleys, which look/work great, but the crank pulley is too small.

I did have to adjust the spacing on a few of them to gety everything to line up, but I have a '74 engine with '77 heads, a '66 intake, a '70 PS/alternator bracket etc. etc.etc...... It would be easy if you already have a stock setup.

I am unsucessfully trying to find a larger, 3 groove crank pulley now.....
I am unsure of what balancer I want to run right now. Would a factory Pontiac compressor bracket work with the VA compressor? There is an A/C bracket kit on e-bay from a 72 that is reasonable.

Old 11-03-2005, 04:39 PM
Senior Chief

Mark Hungerford from Vintage Air responded via e-mail about the pullys saying:

"We do not supply or offer the Pontiac pulleys. We have found Potomac Pontiac in MD stocks the pulleys part # 480509. Their phone # is 301.668.0101."