Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 02-14-2006, 01:45 PM

Default Recommended Distributor?

What distributor does everyone recommend? The motor will be mostly street use along with several trips to the track thrown in each year. I currently have a Jacobs ignition system, which works great, but I'm sure my old dist. is getting alittle sloppy and hate to put it back in the new motor. I'm looking mostly at MSD, Accel and Mallory stuff because I can get it from a friend at cost. I like the MSD unit with it's magnetic pickup, but is there an equal unit with as good or better quality and performance out there? I'm alittle wary of an led unit due to oil film and dust build up on it. Seems like that would degrade the light over time unless you like to clean it occasionally.

Dist. must work with my Jacobs system!

Old 02-14-2006, 02:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My personal preference runs to the magnetic pickups and hall effect sensors. Never cared for the LED style either. Had issues with Unilites in the past.

If running on the street I'd consider a distributor with vac. advance capabilities.

Old 02-14-2006, 02:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Pertronix distributor with adjustable vacuum advance works well for me.

Old 02-14-2006, 06:42 PM

I'm planning on using a vacuum advance unit. I'm mostly looking for some plus/minuses of the different distributors available. It seems like a mag pickup dist. would be the least likely to fail due to it's lack of circuitry and other failure prone bs. The MSD Ready-to-Run dist. looks like the best chioce so far...

Old 02-14-2006, 08:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicbird
I'm planning on using a vacuum advance unit. I'm mostly looking for some plus/minuses of the different distributors available. It seems like a mag pickup dist. would be the least likely to fail due to it's lack of circuitry and other failure prone bs. The MSD Ready-to-Run dist. looks like the best chioce so far...
A good choice in my opinion. Seldom have problems with MSD stuff and they are great to deal with even if you do.

Old 02-14-2006, 08:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A stock HEI with updated parts and an advance curve set on a distributor machine.

Old 02-14-2006, 08:50 PM
Senior Chief

Ditto , Factory GM HEI with updated parts, just fine for any street/strip car under 6500 rpm.

Old 02-15-2006, 01:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have an Accel billet tech vacuum advance dist. which is ready to run. It uses a Mopar magnetic pick up, reluctor wheel, rotor and cap so parts are redily available everywhere. Mechanical advance is adjustable and I use it with their 300+ box and E-coil.

I used to run Unilites but had similar poor experiences with the module. I've been running Accel parts ever since without any problems whatsoever.

MSD is probably marginally nicer but more expensive and I don't know about parts availability on the fly.

71 Formula 433, Splayed cap 400 block, 4" stroke Scat forged crank, 6.8 Eagle rods, custom Autotec pistons. SD 295 KRE D ports, Old faithful hybrid roller, Torker II, Holley Sniper Stealth, Tribal Tubes, TKO 600, 3.73 Eaton posi.
Old 02-15-2006, 10:56 AM

I've been running a Mallory Unilite for 15 plus years with zero problems.

Old 02-15-2006, 11:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't mind HEI's although finding 30 year old units with tight bushings, good advance units and shafts without wear is becoming increasing more difficult. I know you can still buy new ones made in China.... YUCK.

By the time you piece together a nice HEI with updated electronics, the price is right at what the aftermarket sells their distributors for.

Just my opinion

Old 02-15-2006, 11:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho455
I've been running a Mallory Unilite for 15 plus years with zero problems.
Keep it, you are doing way better than most. Mallory's part number on the module is 605.

Old 02-16-2006, 04:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Anyone who has had a unilite has that number memorized. LOL
I have a new one it works but its on the shelf, I trust it as much as I trust the pertronix it sits next to.

I like my old cast iron points distributers. Old reliable. I have one with who knows how many 100s of 1000s of miles and its as tight and accurate as my $350 msd

my factory HEI works great too, by the time I "upgraded" the internals I had a total of $40 in it and a couple hours of cleaning and fiddleing.
the new replacement shaft for my state of the art pro billet will cost more than that.

My Daddy bought me a car but all I got was this old Pontiac.
Old 02-16-2006, 06:08 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Mallory Distributors

If you ever need to replace a Unilite module, purchase E-Spark module part number 6100M. Direct replacement, half the price and with upgraded electronics like the latest Unilite modules.

Remember, Mallory has over 15 different distributors that fit Pontiac V8. You can get points, dual points, Unilite, Magnetic Breakerless (like an MSD ready to run but been around a lot longer), magnetic pickup (like an MSD billet), HEI, billet HEI with built-in adjustable rev limiter, with or without vacuum advance, four different style caps (standard, small screw-down with HEI terminals, the large Comp 9000 with HEI terminals, or HEI). Mallory also makes the DFI dual Hall Effect distributors for use with fuel injection.

So when you think about Mallory, remember Mallory is more than just Unilite.

Old 02-16-2006, 08:00 PM

So a Mallory magnetic breakerless #4258011 would be a quality piece with vac advance that's compairable to the msd ready-to-run?

I guess I just like to run stuff other than MSD because Everybody and their dog has an msd setup...

Old 02-16-2006, 09:04 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicbird
So a Mallory magnetic breakerless #4258011 would be a quality piece with vac advance that's compairable to the msd ready-to-run?

I guess I just like to run stuff other than MSD because Everybody and their dog has an msd setup...
Yep. The 42 series have a small screw down cap with HEI terminals, a bolt-on plug wire retainer, a magnetic breakerless module with a magnetic pickup, a billet housing with a ball bearing shaft support, an adjustable vacuum advance that can be removed (a block off plate is included if you want to remove the VA), an adjustable centrifical advance that is infinitely adjustable from zero to 28 degrees (a selection of springs also included to change the advance rate as well as degree keys to set the amount of advance).

The only drawback compared to the MSD version is that it takes longer to adjust the centrifical advance because the advance is under the module plate. It's not difficult, just takes longer.

I ran one of the prototypes on my daily driver until I took it off to test the rev limiting billet HEI.

Old 02-17-2006, 01:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I prefer large cap/rotor distributors if room allows. Carbon tracks in small caps allow the spark to jump causing barely noticeable miss fire until it gets really noticeable. Especially if your useing a high amp coil.

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...hop/?start=100
Old 02-17-2006, 03:19 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponchoshop
I prefer large cap/rotor distributors if room allows. Carbon tracks in small caps allow the spark to jump causing barely noticeable miss fire until it gets really noticeable. Especially if your useing a high amp coil.
Mallory part number 8758001 would have all the features of the 4258001 mentioned above but with a large Comp9000 cap.

Old 02-17-2006, 04:22 PM

I think I'll go with the Comp 9000 series if I can fit it with the stock firewall. If not, I guess I'll break out the BFH.

Old 02-18-2006, 01:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Go MSD not Mallory.

Old 02-18-2006, 04:09 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I'm going to get the MSD-8528, ready to run.
Anyone ever use it?
http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...=egnsearch.asp