Old 04-02-2006, 07:09 PM

Default Repacement Cam For 1967 GTO YS

Please give me recommendations for a replacement cam for my STOCK 1967 GTO 400 YS, 335-hp, TH400, 3.23 gear, Rochester Q-jet w/HO air cleaner, A/C, hardtop . Stock exhaust manifolds, stock 670 heads and intake. Original CA car w/AIR (now removed). Car is in a shop now for some minor engine work, but it looks like it may turn into a rebuild (eroded bearings).

My 9779066 CAM is worn. Is installation of HO exhaust manifolds and a 068 grind cam an option? What do you recommend for a replacement cam? Installation of HO exhaust manifolds? To get a modest increase in performance, the rep at Comp Cam recommended a High Energy 268H kit and magnum steel roller rockers (and said that it's compatible with my stock YS set-up, as is). Does anyone have any experience with the CC 268H?

I will keep it mainly stock and use it for the street and everyday driving , but would also like some extra performance while having a good/fair idle, good low end to mid torque, and good vacuum. Incidently, my engine shop rep said my stock 670 heads are fine and no C.R. head or piston changes are needed since I drive at 5,000 feet altitude in the Reno, NV area. (I did not have any pinging in the past on premium gas). Thank you for the recommendations.

Ozzie (first post Newbie!)

Old 04-02-2006, 07:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I would go with the 068. If the engine is out, I would opt for a set of RA manifolds as well. I would consider a small dish in the piston. 670s have a closed chamber (or you could open up the comb. chamber as per Jim Hand's book, and I think that should add some cc's and drop the C.R.).

Old 04-03-2006, 09:30 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I went with the 068 and HO exhaust manifolds on my 67. Makes a nice idle and still runs and drives nicely!

Old 04-03-2006, 02:42 PM
Suspended

same 068 and RA manifolds.

Old 04-03-2006, 03:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just a couple of things. You said you may need a complete rebuild because of worn bearings, right. How do you think they went bad? Alot of motors will beat up the bearings if they have too much compression for pump gas. If you are going to rebuild the heads I would have them machine the combustion chamber to unshroud the intake valve. This will help performance and also lower the compression. I've read that the chambers can measure around 80cc after the machine work. I also agree with the 068 cam for a stock rebuild. I prefer Crower cams if you step it up. Hope this helps.

Old 04-03-2006, 08:37 PM

Default What about the 068 grind

Thanks for the recommendations on the 068 grind and the Crower 60916 w/112 LSA. The 068 has a 116 LSA. For all those who recommended the 068 w/HO exhaust manifolds, it sound like the best way to go, but ... don't you lose a lot of low end torque with the 068? Would I need to install a 2,000 or 2,200 stall convertor with the 068? Or, advance the cam?

Thanks for the help. We're getting there.

Ozzie

Old 04-22-2006, 08:49 PM

have owned a few "068" cars.....more than enuff low-end....all-around good cam...but my next cam is going to be a "ram air III" style cam in duration(212/225 i think), but with more lift(around .450)....been recommended by many...."NUNZI'S" has a good one!!...or can go with the "068" and 1.65 rockers....good luck....

Old 04-22-2006, 09:47 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I'm going with the 60916 Crower in my 67 400 (WT). I've heard a lot of good things about this cam on this site.. KRE (Kauffman Racing) has done a lot of research on this cam as well.. if they recomend it (and spent the money for the research..) that's good enough for me!!