Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 04-07-2006, 07:57 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Van Gas Tank

It says in the menu, "No question too basic here!". Well here it is:

My '93 GMC van has always had to be filled slowly at the gas pump or it kicks off and often splashes out fuel. It will not accept fuel delivered at the even the first automatic detent on the pump nozzles. For 13 years and 263,000 miles (about 18,000 gallons of gas ) I have always had to fill it slowly. Also, the nozzles will always kick off when the tank will still accept a good 5-7 gallons. Then to finish filling the tank, it has to pumped v...e...r...y slowly. Does anyone one know what causes this?

Every other car I had or rented while traveling could always be filled at near full pump delivery volume.

Old 04-07-2006, 08:03 PM
Senior Chief

my 2003 olds alero occasionally wont let you click the handle in when filling and cuts off, this doesnt happen on every fill up and only at stations i dont regularly use. i would be interested to find out why it does this as well.

Old 04-08-2006, 08:30 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Oh well, guess it may remain a mystery. I figure that, because it takes a good 10 minutes to fill the tank, I have spent 120 hours standing at 720+ gas pumps wondering why it fills so slow.

Old 04-08-2006, 08:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Likely an issue with a vent valve in the tank...we have seen a few Jaguar tanks that have had that problem...they get replaced.

Try putting the nozzle in, then backing it out about a half inch...and then make sure you are not holding the handle up. Let it drop down so the tip of the nozzle is resting on the top of the filler neck tube (Can't see it, it would be inside the filler tube...make a mental picture). I've seen the angle of delivery screw things up.

9.81 @ 136.39MPH
Old 04-08-2006, 08:54 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Im not positive about the 93 gmc set-up but there all pretty much the same so here goes, inspect the fill tube see if it is crushed or damaged in any way.Many times on vans there is a rubber connection hose between the filler tube and the fuel tank,this may pass between the frame and body,they can be kinked or crushed there.and the last thing to check is where the fill tube goes into the tank there may be a one way check valve this may be damaged or plugged. you can check this by running the vehicle down to less than a quarter tank and removing the fill tube and see what you have.

This should take less than an hour to check out and if you have a bad one way valve it may be as simple as removing it. good luck, hope this helps!

Old 04-09-2006, 10:19 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks. Will check those thinks this week. I didn't know there were check valves down in the filler tube.