67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 04-17-2006, 03:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Sending Unit, Which one?

I have a '68 Firebird. Originally a base 6 it nows has a 455. When it was converted the original single gas line was used.

On the latest trip to the gas station (it was on E) I put in 7 gallons. It went past full (about 1 O'clock position) all the was to the 3 o'clock position. So I think I need a new fuel sending unit.

Question is, the PY catalog lists several possibilites. The 400 or V8 with A/C apparently uses a return line, which I don't have so I've crossed that one out. However, it also lists one for the 6 cylinder and one for a "V8" (I assume they mean a 350) without A/C. Anyone know the difference? Should I stick with the 6 cylinder unit?

The engine wire harness (but none of the others) was swapped for a V8 harness during the conversion if that makes a difference.

Old 04-18-2006, 01:08 PM
Suspended

you have to match the dash gauge which if the car had a 6 cylinder from the factory, then you use a 6 cylinder sending unit. But before you do, I would take out the old sender and confirm that it does not have full range and the gauge responds fully as well. Have opened some to find bent float arm, something hanging from the sender, old o ring gasket, etc.

Old 04-20-2006, 10:57 AM
Senior Chief

Exclamation

Before you go ahead with replacing anthing, check the electrical. Connectors & connections are the worst offenders when it comes to getting oxidized or becoming loose from vibration & temperature changes. Make sure everthing is clean (not sand paper) just a clean cloth or nylon brush (tooth brush) and tight. If that fails, then go ahead with replacing things. Good Luck.

Old 04-20-2006, 12:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks Wally. I'll give that a try before I buy the unit. Is there anything I could spray on it as well that might help clean it without being too abrasive?