Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 05-17-2006, 01:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to *67firebird*
Default broken bleeder

well after giving my caliper to my buddy and letting him take it to the Ford technicians at work and let them try to take off my broken bleeder it only got worst, they ended up cutting of the bleeder after failing to take it out and now its completly flush with the caliper. I should have listen to my fellow PY members who told me to take it to a professional. Im sorry, i thought the Ford guys would know what to do. well i guess the only thingi can do i take it to some pros now to see if they can do anything about it, if not im gonna have to cough up some money for a set of new calipers, i dont want to say goodbye to muy 4 piston calipers. does anyone know if i have any luck finding someone that can take it out and possibly re-thread it???

Performer RPM-850DP
Auburn- 3.55 gear
CC HR custom grind
Old 05-17-2006, 05:05 AM
Suspended

can you drill it and use an easyout on it?

Old 05-17-2006, 08:34 AM
Senior Chief

Take it to your local "muffler and brake" shop who has a seasoned tech. Chances are he can weld a nut to the broken screw and take it right out. It shouldn't make it hot enough to damage any seals.
I learned it on manifold bolts, but it works for calipers in a pinch. The weld sticks to the screw and not to the cast-iron. The heat loosens the threads. The nut provides a new cap for a wrench. It even works if the threads are recessed. Sometimes it takes a few tries. Choose a nut that just fits the threads if you do it yourself. It wont stick to the cast iron, but there is a chance of damage if you get the weld directly on the iron.

Old 05-17-2006, 09:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If you're reasonably confident of your abilities, buy one of the square-shaped easy out sets. You should be able to pound one of them into the broken bleeder and back it out. A little drilling and a little heat may be required, but it should come out.

Another option, if you have one close, is to take it to a machine shop. They will have the proper removers, and, if necessary, they can drill the broken part out and make sure the threads are ok.

Old 05-17-2006, 12:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to *67firebird*

one of the issues in my situation is that we tries using a "easyout" tool, heat treated, and it broke inside the bleeder........ OUCH

so last night i tried drilling around that strong heat treated metal through the bleeder, in hopes that if i go deep enough on the bleeder i can pull the easyout tool out. then i would drill the bleeder, and then take it to a shop and get it re-threaded, but so far ive broken 4 drill bits cause they are the small week ones, so i need to keep doing it. anyone object?

Performer RPM-850DP
Auburn- 3.55 gear
CC HR custom grind