Exhaust TECH Mufflers, Headers and Pipes Issues

Old 06-16-2006, 10:18 AM

Default Installing Headers on a '78 Formula

I just ordered a set of the cheap Flowtech headers and they should be here sometime next week. So I was wanting to know what all is involved, and what kind of problems I would run in to when installing these headers.

Ive heard you have to jack the motor a few inches, does that mean I have to unbolt both motor mounts?? My car isnt rusty at all but how should I go about removing the bolts without breaking them??

BTW, my car has the 403 with a TH350

Old 06-16-2006, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaMan403
I just ordered a set of the cheap Flowtech headers and they should be here sometime next week. So I was wanting to know what all is involved, and what kind of problems I would run in to when installing these headers.

Ive heard you have to jack the motor a few inches, does that mean I have to unbolt both motor mounts?? My car isnt rusty at all but how should I go about removing the bolts without breaking them??

BTW, my car has the 403 with a TH350
I did this a few months back on my kids 78. He has the same drivetrain as you with AC. I installed Hooker Super Comps and did not have to lift the engine. I can't say for sure, but I doubt you'll have to either.

The driver side is a little more difficult than the passenger side. You'll have to remove the dipstick and the starter. The trick, which you will soon see for yourself, is that you can't install the starter with the headers installed but if the headers are bolted up there's no way to get to the starter either. You have to do them together. You'll say a few curse words because the starter is so darned heavy when you're laying on your back under the car, but it is doable.

On the passenger side, you'll need to remove the oil filter AND the oil filter housing. I think the housing is three bolts - it's no problem to remove. Go to O'Reilly's or NAPA and make sure they have the housing gasket in stock before you start. If you have AC, you'll need to unbolt the compressor and move it out of the way.

On the Hookers, there were a couple of header bolts that were a definite pain. Seems to always come with the header territory. Number three or four on the passenger side and I think number 5 on both sides. Check this before you drop them in because you'll probably have one or two bolts you'll have to have in the header slots before you drop them in.

Old 06-16-2006, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorhorn
I did this a few months back on my kids 78. He has the same drivetrain as you with AC. I installed Hooker Super Comps and did not have to lift the engine. I can't say for sure, but I doubt you'll have to either.

The driver side is a little more difficult than the passenger side. You'll have to remove the dipstick and the starter. The trick, which you will soon see for yourself, is that you can't install the starter with the headers installed but if the headers are bolted up there's no way to get to the starter either. You have to do them together. You'll say a few curse words because the starter is so darned heavy when you're laying on your back under the car, but it is doable.

On the passenger side, you'll need to remove the oil filter AND the oil filter housing. I think the housing is three bolts - it's no problem to remove. Go to O'Reilly's or NAPA and make sure they have the housing gasket in stock before you start. If you have AC, you'll need to unbolt the compressor and move it out of the way.

On the Hookers, there were a couple of header bolts that were a definite pain. Seems to always come with the header territory. Number three or four on the passenger side and I think number 5 on both sides. Check this before you drop them in because you'll probably have one or two bolts you'll have to have in the header slots before you drop them in.
So your telling me you put them in from above??? LOL I thought they went in from underneath

Old 06-16-2006, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaMan403
So your telling me you put them in from above??? LOL I thought they went in from underneath
No, that's not what I'm telling you. I'm starting to think you're better off taking it to a shop. Good luck.

Old 06-16-2006, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorhorn
No, that's not what I'm telling you. I'm starting to think you're better off taking it to a shop. Good luck.
Well I just figured that's what you were saying because of what you said...
"Check this before you drop them in because you'll probably have one or two bolts you'll have to have in the header slots before you drop them in."

You can't drop in headers from underneath, that's what confused me