Old 06-18-2006, 09:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default '70 enduro bumper "spider" cracking

Hi guys:

I posted this question on someone elses thread but would like some advice from more of you if possible.

We're done painting the car and now are left with the bumper. It was blasted down to rubber and it's got lots of "spider" cracks. Not gouges or holes but thin spider cracking.

There's LOTS of them and to gouge them would almost be gouging the whole bumper. But if that's what I got to do then it will be done.

Do I have to gouge them and fill them as I would chips, holes, ruts, etc?

Thanks

Phil

Old 06-18-2006, 09:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Without seeing it, it's hard to say. But- do you recall these being there in the paint, before you stripped the bumper? If the paint was cracked, what you are seeing is surface degradation or oxidation, from where the rubber was exposed.
If you can not grab the edge of the crack and opein it up with your fingernail, it won't be a problem. If the crack runs deep, then you'll need to address it.
The flexible urethane bumper primers/paints can withstand and hide slight surface stresses like it sounds like you have. But, again, it's hard to tell without examining it closely.

Old 06-19-2006, 12:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hi there!

BTW, I'm coming up to you this weekend. I'm going to give you a call this week. Spoke to your neighbor John today! I hope we can really do the grills. I'll bring them with me (I've even got two sets if you're in the mood!)

As for the stress cracks if you dig your nail hard enough on the biggest ones you can feel that there is a crack but they certainly won't open up. I don't believe on the smaller ones you can even do that.

Do you know which is the best flexible primers? Do I add flex agents to my paint (code 28 Atoll Blue) or do I buy a special paint with it already mixed in?

Thanks

Phil