73-77 A-body TECH Includes 73GTO, LeMans, Grand Am, Can Am

Old 07-27-2006, 05:04 PM

Send a message via AIM to Can Am Kid Send a message via Yahoo to Can Am Kid
Default New kid with a Can am

Hello yall, My name is Tom. Im 19 and from the rusty state of Connecticut. I have a 77 Pontiac Can Am. My father owned it from the time he turned 18, and left it to me when he died last year. It has some rust and hasnt run legally since 1987. I try to run it every now and then to keep it running. I stuble onto this site and thought it would be a big help in helping me restore the can am to its former glory.

About the car, Its all numbers matching except the carb, and has no exhuast at the montent. Inside isnt bad, cracked dash lining, and its bench seating. Seems most were made with bucket seats. The car has sat for more then ten years and has had aminals build nest in every little spot there is.

That the car and my story. Thanks for having these great sites.

Old 07-27-2006, 05:17 PM

Hello Tom and welcome to PY. There are a lot of knowledgeable people here. Sorry to hear about your father. It's cool that he left you such a great car though. Good luck with the restoration. Post some pics when you can. Also, you may want to check out another site that will help you with your restoration. It's www.abodysite.com. That site is all about the 73-77 A-body cars such as yours. Check it out.

Don

70 Grand Prix J-Granada Gold
70 Grand Prix J-Verdoro Green (4-speed)
Old 07-27-2006, 08:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Got one myself. Here's a shot of it with my Dad behind the wheel (he passed too, in December 2004). If you need any guidance in the restoration, drop me an email at mmechanicus@yahoo.com.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	canam.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	60189   Click image for larger version

Name:	CanAmVMP.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	154.8 KB
ID:	60190  

Old 07-27-2006, 09:06 PM

Here are some pics of mine.

As you can see, the body is in very good shape, but the interior of the car could use some work. This is one of 3 other projects that i have going on, but this one has the most meaning. It was my dads dream to get it back on the road, and now its my dream.

Old 07-27-2006, 11:59 PM
Senior Chief

Welcome to the board. It is almost like looking at my CanAm. I have the Firethorn Red interior with bench seat also. Great project car. My condolences on the loss of your Dad.

My Dad's 59. The start of my love for Pontiacs!
Old 07-28-2006, 07:57 AM

Tom -

Welcome! It's good to see the younger generation interested in these cars. If we're lucky, more will follow as these are still a less expensive alternative to the late 60's/early 70's muscle cars, and still have great looks, strong engines and better handling. You're going to find a lot of assistance (if not parts) for getting your CA back on the road. I just bought mine after looking and waiting for about two years (T/A 6.6, buckets/console, buckskin). Unfortunately I also do not have my father to help out as he passed away in 2001 (at a young 63). He'd have enjoyed helping with the work - or at least telling me what I was doing wrong...

Another site you may wish to check into is Poncho Pride, for 73-77 Pontiacs. Midsize Bowties is another, though it appears to be a bit more Chevy-oriented. It does cover all 73-77 GM midsized products, though. When you need parts, PY is good, as is Ames. If there's a specialized need, ask, as someone has likely used a service for it (chrome restoration, radio restoration, etc...) and can steer you to a good company.

Enjoy your Can Am, hope to see you at the reunion!

1977 Can Am (T/A 6.6, posi, Buckskin interior, tilt/AC/PW, 115K miles) - need sheet metal, care to help?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Why did they name this town Port Saint Lucie, when there's no port at all here?
Old 07-28-2006, 09:35 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Welcome to the board....

It is good to see a youngster with a CA. It is rare to see a teenager enjoying good old Detroit iron.

Here is mine:

I should be getting the engine back in it this weekend
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010048 (Custom).JPG
Views:	68
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	60229   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010050 (Custom).JPG
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	60230   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010051 (Custom).JPG
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	60231   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010052 (Custom).JPG
Views:	69
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	60232   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010046 (Custom).JPG
Views:	73
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	60233  

1969 Pontiac GTO - Back On Top - Popular Hot Rodding Magazine

Last edited by 69*Goat; 07-28-2006 at 09:45 AM.
Old 07-28-2006, 05:44 PM
Senior Chief

Looks like you have a good base to start from. Oh' I have a few myself, there my personal weakness

Wanted 1977 Can Am forgotten projects or parts cars, other 73-77 Pontiac A-bodys, also 4-speed setup for 73-77 GTO, Grand Ams, CA e-mail me shubedo1@yahoo.com with info. Buy Sell or Trade --------------------------------------
Old 07-29-2006, 01:04 PM

Thanks for the warm welcome guys. I was afriad that i would not be accepted becauce im so young. It seems like most of the "old timers" feel like younger kids dont understand and appreciate good old america muscle. Rest easy, Im not the kind of person that looks to buy cheap and run it till it blows up. Ive grown up around good old detroit Iron and wish the muslce days would come back. Due to the gas prices, i have had to buy a honda for fuel miles, but i will never lose my old car roots. Thanks again for the welcome and the great sites that im sure i will be on quite offen in my quest for a running Can Am.

Old 07-29-2006, 02:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Not true, 'Kid. I'm 38 and have no problem welcoming young, eager people. What I do have a problem with is young, eager people that have below 3rd grade grammar skills, and when asking a question, they never provide enough pertinent information to provide even an educated guess as an answer. Then when you bust their balls about it, they call you an "old fart" or something to that effect and then go running home to Mamma (LOL).

Old 08-01-2006, 05:46 PM

hey kid, good looking car.
You doing alright.
You hooked up with some of the best Can Am owners around.
These guys are a wealth of knowledge and they do have parts.
As far as age goes, unless we are drinking, it doesnt matter.

1973 Grand Prix
1973 project X
1991 Sunbird V6 convertible (wifes)
Old 08-02-2006, 09:21 PM

Hey CanAm Kid,

Very sorry to hear about your father's passing. Glad to hear you are interested in a GREAT car. Good luck with your project.

Larry

Old 08-03-2006, 12:26 AM

Good looking car Tom! I happen to LOVE the Can Am. I saw my first one in 86, was sold before I could get back to buy it. Always wanted one after that, and just recently bought mine. Look on this forum for pics of my car. Sign up with the Abodysite and Ponchopride are other good ones. Good luck! David

1977 Pontiac Can Am, firethorn interior- buckets/console,tilt,tach and a/c, posi and rally II's. I'm the 4th owner, and happy it's mine! I tried to buy my first one in 1986, 20 years later I finally got one! Then Only after a few fun years, needed to sell it.
Old 09-12-2006, 06:18 PM

Send a message via AIM to Bedo Send a message via MSN to Bedo

Im very sorry to hear that about you dad. I'm 16 and me and my dad have been working on my CA for awhile. Which the crazy part about this is that my dad has owned our CA since he was 18 too, which is quite a coincidence . It has all matching numbers, black interior, bucket seats, and is in very good condition from being garaged for forever, it gets the garage and other cars sit outside. This will be my first car but not my daily driver, my grandparents gave me their minivan, which is a Pontiac too . Very awsome to have found this site and can't wait to get more involved.

-Brandon

Old 09-12-2006, 06:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

Brandon,

Welcome to PY. There are a couple of other sites that you will enjoy:

www.ponchopride.com

www.abodysite.com

In addition, the Yahoo CanAm group has a lot of good info.

1977 Trans Am, 400/M21 Black/Gold Bandit. 44K actual miles

2017 Sierra SLT 1500 Z71 4X4

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4