Old 09-27-2006, 03:39 PM

Angry 95 GTP nightmare

I have a nice black 95 GTP that I picked up really cheap. The guy was frustrated with it because it wouldn't start so sold it cheap. He put in a new 3.4 motor and it wouldn't start every time. The battery, cables, alternator, starter, ignition cylinder have all been replaced. I took it to my friend's shop and they had it for a month. It started every single time. When I get it home, it will start and I'll drive it for a day. Then the next day I'll get in, turn the key, and nothing...not even a click. All grounds have been tested. All wiring has been tested to make sure juice is flowing. When you turn the key the dash dummy lights all come on and go off normally, the fuel pump runs (which tells me it's not the security system), but there is no click under the hood at all. Could it be the computer? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I'm starting to feel the previous owner's frustration.

Old 09-27-2006, 08:43 PM

I wouldn't be so quick to rule out the VATS system. It may disable that particular system with a starter enable relay. Have those keys checked at the dealer on the interigator(?). You may have one key that is out of range.
The security light should go off in a second or so after turning the ignition key and it should stay out after that.

Old 09-28-2006, 11:08 AM

I had a new key and lock cylinder installed. This has the old style key with the chip on it. This morning I jumped in, turned the key, and it fired right up. So I drove it back to the shop for them to play around with again. Everytime I take it there, it starts. As soon as I get it home, it will start everytime for a day or so and then the next time it won't. I'm wondering if I don't have a bad alternator, even though it was replaced.

Oh, and the security light goes off right away, so I'm certain it's not that. Also, the fuel pump runs everytime I turn the key and I was told it wouldn't if the security system was bad.

Old 09-28-2006, 03:10 PM
Senior Chief

My 89 G/P did the same thing with not starting,I run the shifter thru the gears(auto)back into park and it starts.The neutral switch on the trans is going bad.When I worked at the dealer we replaced alot of them.
Craig