Old 11-09-2006, 10:36 PM
Senior Chief

Default working on your car ,bad things can happen

I wanted to share this ,after reading another post in the Lobby. car goes through garage....
I had my car since I was 18,this happened after my 2nd 400 rebuild. at about 20..
don't do this at home .
Sat afternoon,just finished running the motor after breaking in the cam setting the time backed up and down the driveway see how the clutch feels.etc
went in for lunch.. my buddy stops over ,had a couple of beers . ask how the new motor sound ,, man it sounds great , I'll start it !

ok 400 4spd 3:55 gears stock , cran cam ,performer intake,holley vac 780...

reached in the window to start it , starts right up ,IN 1ST GEAR!
with me in the window trying to grab the key and shut it off... it jumps forward up against the wall .. it hesitates for a min, I just get my hand on the key .. then the wall of my fathers 2 month old garage gives way ... the car goes through ( me still in the window) the wall .. thankfully that there was a 3ft drop off the back of the foundation,, the car to came rest on the gas tank ,taking the rear wheels off the ground and it stopped ...

didn't know what to do first.. jacked the car ,got it back on the ground, started it right up ,lol and drove it around the front again,
the car only had the gas tank damage and one of the hood hinges bent back ,thankfully the hood wasn't on it .
but the wall of the garage ... it opened just like a door hinged at the top .swung right up .. my buddies and I just reframed the section ,couldn't even tell ,,but still had to call Dad .. he took it well
Pontiac torque is real ,,thankfully nobody was standing in front of the car..
I'm a tech by prof ,this one of those learn from your mistakes.
I learned ,still can laugh and share the storie . but caution to everyone!