Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 01-04-2007, 10:51 PM

Default Edelbrock IAS Shocks???

I have been reading the ads and am curious about them, has anyone tried them on a modified canyon carver?

Old 01-04-2007, 11:48 PM

I have a set on my 75 T/A with just over 5000 miles and they are great. The only other shocks I have tried were stock then Gabriel Adjustable Es and finally Koni which were the worst of all.

Old 01-05-2007, 08:08 AM

WOW, Koni worst?? Everybody always says Koni is "the best", what did you not like about them? Anyone tried Bilsteins ?

Old 01-05-2007, 10:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have used Bilsteins and I love them.

Old 01-05-2007, 10:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have the IAS shocks on all 4 corners of my 67 GTO. I love them.
Not a canyon carver, but I do alot of back roads. I had Monroes' and rear air shocks for a while, these are such a difference.

Old 01-05-2007, 11:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

edelbrock's shocks are the best pure-street chock i've found for many many applications.
i run them on several of my own cars; am extremely happy with 'em.
they ride beautifully but still do a fine job controlling transient response and float.

Old 01-05-2007, 11:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

but if handling is the only priority, go with koni.

Old 01-05-2007, 02:09 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have konis on my Testarossa. Six of them. Nothing better. Of course, at $400.00 each, my feelings may change when it comes time to rebuild or replace them.

Old 01-05-2007, 09:23 PM
Senior Chief

I have used them for a couple of years and they worked great with the stock suspension. When I upgraded to stiffer springs they couldn't keep up. If your spring rate is much more than stock, they may not be the best choice.

Old 01-06-2007, 12:23 AM

In the early 70s I had a Datsun 2000 with a set of koni shocks that did great. When I got my TA in 75 I tried other shocks but the shocks always had trouble controlling bounce in the front end. So I saved up and got a set of Konis and they worked great for almost a year when they too gave up control on the front. By this time I had quit driving the TA and I did not change the shocks. Then about 5 years ago I got the TA back out and started to do a total restomod. When I started to tear the car down I found the right side Koni had broken its main shaft where the threads stop just below the lower bushing going through the upper control arm. I did notice when I installed the Konis originally that they were physically smaller than all of the other shocks I had tried. The small size along with their poor performance is what turned me against Koni on large American muscle cars. I would hope they have improved their products since then. If money is no object go with Penske. The Edelbrock or Bilsteins are both great for the price.

Old 01-06-2007, 01:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

mill200:
koni has a lifetime warranty on their red shocks.
it sounds like you had the wrong shock installed; konis aren't any smaller then other brands in any case i have ever seen, and i've sold about a billion of them over the years.
i have them on my TA and they're still outstanding; have been on there about 18 years now.
it's a safe bet when your shocks "gave up control on the front" is exactly when the shaft broke.

Old 01-06-2007, 04:29 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Speedshopmike, I just checked the current replacement price for my Koni shocks on the Testa, they are now up to $495.00 each. Do you know if these can be rebuilt for less?

On another note, I remember ten years ago when I purchased some Bilstein Sport shocks for another car. I liked them. Pricey, but worth it. I wonder if they still make them.

Last edited by carcollector; 01-06-2007 at 04:31 AM. Reason: tired
Old 01-06-2007, 09:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up Konis are still the handling choice

I have had Konis on my 72 TA for 6 years, including many laps on Willow Springs @ open track days. I agree with SSMike that you must have the wrong model shock installed as Konis are very beefy shocks. If they are not visibly leaking, they don't need rebuilding, they just need to be adjusted to provide additional rebound damping.

Les

'65 Buick Sport Wagon Custom, 340, T350, 3:23
'66 GTO Post/468, 700R4, 3.31 (Mike's as of 9-16)
'68 Grand Prix/455, dual AFBs, T400, 2:93 posi (sold)
'72 TA tribute/461, T400, 3.08, (Russ's as of 9-16)
'97 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Turbo, Konis, 5 speed
'09 Torrent GXP, nav, Sun & Sound pkg., Bilsteins
Old 01-06-2007, 11:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcollector
Speedshopmike, I just checked the current replacement price for my Koni shocks on the Testa, they are now up to $495.00 each. Do you know if these can be rebuilt for less?

On another note, I remember ten years ago when I purchased some Bilstein Sport shocks for another car. I liked them. Pricey, but worth it. I wonder if they still make them.
So you are telling us that you have a Ferrari Testarossa, and you are worried about the price of shocks for it.

If I were you I would just throw some monroes on it when you need 'em. And when the tires wear out, I bet you could get some 15" rims and tires alot cheaper than you can replace those 16" tires for.

Anyway, I have the IAS shocks on my 67 GTO. It has 17s and 18s with 45 series tires and it is lowered 3" all the way around. I handles really really good for a 67 model anything. But I'm no racer, I just wanted and good all around car for lots of street use. I have never tried any others with this setup so all I can say is I am happy with them.

Last edited by gearbanger; 01-06-2007 at 12:01 PM.
Old 01-06-2007, 12:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

carcollector:
yes, they can be rebuilt, and koni's rebuilding services are fairly reasonable; i just had a set of first gen f-body shocks converted to "yellow" specs by koni from brand new for a guy who didn't like his qa1's.
call koni NA's 800 phone # and key for rebild/revalve services to make it happen.
alternately, i can probably beat that price by a goodly amount if you want new ones.
-off to enjoy 70 degrees outside

Old 01-06-2007, 09:24 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

gearbanger, just because I own a Testarossa, does not mean I'm also an idiot.
It's worth the same as an SD. Would you make that same statement to an SD owner? BTW, I run 18" Speedlines.

Speedshopmike, I'll give you a call. Thanks for the info.

Last edited by carcollector; 01-06-2007 at 09:26 PM. Reason: uhhhh
Old 01-06-2007, 11:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Awe, carcollector, I'm just aggravating you. But, yes I would make that statement to a guy who owns a SD car. My gosh if you have a car worth that much, surely you can replace worn parts with the correct parts when they go bad. If you had a super duty car, and the carb needed attention, would you just chuck it and throw a 750 Holley on there. I would hope not, but some people do that kind of work. Usually they are not working on SD's or Testarossa's though.

Peace Bro

Old 01-07-2007, 12:01 AM

Speedshop

I called Koni about their famed lifetime warranty and was told that when I bought my shocks "ie" late 70s early 80s that was before their lifetime warranty in the US. That was OK with me because everything wears out sometime anyway and I do not believe that a manufacturer is responsible forever. If Koni had replaced the shocks I would have sold them on ebay because there are a lot of better shocks available now. When I purchased the Konis the numbers were correct for the application at the time. For all of the satisfied Koni lovers out there, I am glad you are happy. But as the saying goes I have already been there done that and have the tee shirt and will not be fooled again "at least by Koni".

Old 01-07-2007, 01:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

can't make everyone happy all the time, eh?

Old 01-07-2007, 06:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

www.shox.com

Pretty good prices.