Old 01-17-2007, 11:38 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Unhappy BJ's '69 GTO Hardtop @ $70k

Just sold and missed the auction due to commercial...
what a bummer, anyone know the car?

Carlos

Old 01-17-2007, 11:41 PM

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=505576

Old 01-18-2007, 12:03 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via AIM to RA6T7GTO

they seem to go to commercial everytime a GTO shows up,

Old 01-18-2007, 12:07 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks for steering me straight.

I didn't know it was that car. If it went to a new owner (and not a buy back) he got himself a really sweet machine.

Old 01-18-2007, 01:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

$70,000 for a 4spd RA4?? That doesn't bode well for GTO values. See my post in '65 GTO's of the '65 that went for $35,000 where the '51 VW went for $50,000!

Now's the time to buy.

Old 01-18-2007, 07:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Pontiac value seems to be in a hole. I couldn't believe a 71 buick skylark with a paint job and a wing cloned into a GSX got more money than a numbers matching 65 GTO with a 4 speed 389 tri-power?!?!?!?!? (the knowledgeable announcers blamed it on a bad door gap) So if a 69 Ram Air IV car is only worth $70k, who believes someone actually paid $450k for that black Judge that was on Ebay a while back?

Old 01-18-2007, 09:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Barrett Jackson is not the place to sell a Pontiac. I believe that's why you see so few of them there, and I think that it would be a big mistake for a Pontiac owner to try to sell there. This may change in the future, but I wouldn't expect it to happen any time soon. You'll see many more Pontiacs at Kruse and Mecum auctions and they get decent money. I think the Red RA IV GTO pretty much brought what it should have at that venue. Had it been a numbers car, it would have gone higher. The seller would have done better on eBay.

Old 01-18-2007, 10:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

They couldn't show us the GTO going through, but they
did find time to show us two Volkswagen "Things" go across the auction
block! Somebody get a rope!

Old 01-18-2007, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RA6T7GTO
they seem to go to commercial everytime a GTO shows up,
what's up with that? The first night they did that when the '71 Judge came up and I thought "just bad timing". But last night it really started to hit home that everytime a car was coming to the block that I was interested in seeing, they went to commercial (not just the GTOs, but a lot of Mopar cars I was interested in watching too). But god forbid we miss one of the 150 Corvettes or umpteen million Camaros. I can't believe they had the cahones to show two Yenko Camaro recreations live, but can't air the one GTO Judge that has crossed.

As for the bidding and values, I really don't care that the GTO bidding seems a little low. That should only really matter to anyone trying to make a buck on their car at this point. I'm much more interested in acquiring than selling, so if the prices are higher on other stuff and GTOs stay somewhat affordable, better for the buyer!

Final thought... last two days really has been the chafe of the auction anyway. The real prices will start showing up tonight. I'm waiting to see what the prime lots are going to pull.

Old 01-18-2007, 11:01 AM

'nother quick thought... seems you can email the announcers live as the auction runs. Think they would air it if someone sent a comment like "how about showing more of the non-Chevy/non-Ford muscle cars instead of going to commercial over them"?

Old 01-18-2007, 11:13 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The amount of mis-information spewed by the announcers is shocking, and they had to make quite a few "retractions" throughout the night. But I suppose if they kept their mouths shut until they actually knew something for sure there would be LOTS of dead air... Yenko in New York?!

The GTO prices have been disappointing. The blue '65 Tri-Power car almost petered out at $25k before being revived and bid up to $35k. I'd like to know if this car began life as a Tri-Power car or was converted. Announcers pointed out some gap issues, but the price still seems very low.

We'll see what happens in the prime days.

2015 Challenger R/T Plus, hemi, Sublime
Old 01-18-2007, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOnly70
The amount of mis-information spewed by the announcers is shocking, and they had to make quite a few "retractions" throughout the night. But I suppose if they kept their mouths shut until they actually knew something for sure there would be LOTS of dead air... Yenko in New York?!

The GTO prices have been disappointing. The blue '65 Tri-Power car almost petered out at $25k before being revived and bid up to $35k. I'd like to know if this car began life as a Tri-Power car or was converted. Announcers pointed out some gap issues, but the price still seems very low.

There was a '64 Tripower coupe that pulled some decent money toward the end of the day. But, yes, it'll be interesting to see how the bidding runs during the prime auction days. Let's just hope the coverage (selection of cars shown) gets better.

Old 01-18-2007, 01:17 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Flame me if you want, but I am not a barret Jackson lover...drives teh prices out of reach of the real enthusiasts...who restore tehse cars to drive and enjoy...not to have a 18 foot trophy in a garage...kinda makes me sad when they end up in some collectors lot....

I am more impressed when someone restores a car after taking years to find correct missing parts...even if numbers don't match...I like to see correct stuff...I am surprised to read some tri-power cars going so low..maybe they weren't authentic but added after the fact?

Old 01-18-2007, 02:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

We love these muscle cars ... and we're surprised when others do too? The greater the demand and the less the supply ... the higher the prices. But read on the GP thread and they're crying that the prices of their cars aren't high enough!

So if you're a Pontiac enthusiast what I'm hearing is that we're in the catbird seat - we can buy the cars we love and less money than Chebby lovers get to buy theirs! Why the complaining?

Old 01-18-2007, 02:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

70ra455, "We love these muscle cars ... and we're surprised when others do too?", The fact is alot of the BJ'rs don't love so much the Muscle Cars themselves, but more the ROI (Return on Investment)..I'm not saying all of them there, as there are some ppl that are there because they find it easier to pick/choose what they want (granted at a high premium) from such a large variety of cars offered there...It's a fact of life, unfortunately (or fortunately for some) that some people have since given up at this time on High Tech stocks/stock market and turned toward what is hot today (Muscle Cars)...and since Hemis and LS6s have already hit the roof, Clones are more accessible (as well as Pontiacs(RAIV included), relatively speaking)...

Old 01-18-2007, 03:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I DID JUST THAT told em i didn't want to see another stinking vette and ask why the Pontiac's had no respect on the speed channel,i think we ought to put forth a valid effort to email these Chevy hugging bastards and get them to ante up
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcduck
'nother quick thought... seems you can email the announcers live as the auction runs. Think they would air it if someone sent a comment like "how about showing more of the non-Chevy/non-Ford muscle cars instead of going to commercial over them"?

1 69 gto 4 speed
1 69 gto judge
1 75 ta
1 79 formula
1 80 formula
1 81 ta
1 89 formula
1 96 ta
1 66 mustang
1 84 mustang
1 89 25th anniv mustang convert
kaysersuzuki@yahoo.com
Old 01-18-2007, 04:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOnly70

Did anyone catch the blue 69 Chevelle SS Wednesday night that the announcer said was not a true SS because of the VIN number? From what the announcers said a few miniutes later, it sounded like they were flooded with calls after that one.

Old 01-18-2007, 08:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Paul, that guy owed a personal apology to the owner of that Chevelle. Not "I'm only human" for an excuse.

Old 01-18-2007, 09:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70ra455
We love these muscle cars ... and we're surprised when others do too? The greater the demand and the less the supply ... the higher the prices. But read on the GP thread and they're crying that the prices of their cars aren't high enough!

So if you're a Pontiac enthusiast what I'm hearing is that we're in the catbird seat - we can buy the cars we love and less money than Chebby lovers get to buy theirs! Why the complaining?
Great point, however, I think this brings us back to the hidden hypocrisy within the car "enthusiast" crew which is highlighted in the beaten to death issue of cloning. If all we were really about was the joy of driving these cars, can anyone here say HONESTLY that it wouldn't really matter to them if they walked up to two identical 69 RAIV GTO's both identically optioned, one with perfect paint and a 23737 vin and one with a few tiny rust bubbles starting on it's hood with numbers matching drive train and a 24237 vin and NOT pick the "hood needs some fixing" car? If it's REALLY >ONLY< about the joy of the car, then why does a tiny little metal plate on the cowl mean so much to everyone? You can say that the market value doesn't affect you, but I think you're kidding yourself since 99.99999% of everyone would pick the real GTO in my scenario above. This follows right out into the present market. Everyone wants to buy THEIR GTO as cheaply as possible, on that same note, everyone wants THEIR car to be worth a lot of money. BJ just ticks us all off because it's reinforcing the standard "Chevy's better than Pontiac" crap we've grown up with. You can see it in all the attitude from the buyers to the announcers. That 69 Yenko camaro clone hit $90k. What do you think a 67 Lemans cloned into a Royal bobcat GTO would bring? Maybe $20k on a stellar day? Why the difference? They're both performance cars aren't they? Maybe it just shows that Pontiac guys are tightwads and won't pay big money for the cars we love?

Old 01-19-2007, 12:05 AM

Did you see the 70 judge when they were going to commercial and then come back on to show it. They said a lot of people had been emailing that everytime a gto come up they went to commercial. Good job guys with all the emails.