Old 01-18-2007, 05:32 PM
Senior Chief

Default Progress on my 74 aka removal of rusty bolts

Well, I made a little progress on the complete dissassembly of my "Y" code 74 Trans Am today. Some of you know I have had this car for about 3 years. Between work,kids and family I have had little time to get busy on it, but as of late I have been finally beginning to get into it. I have a 78 Trans Am also that I like to call a "showable driver" that I have had for 18 years.

My goal when I bought this car for $1000.00 3 years ago was to tear it completely apart and build it from scratch. The car is very straight and solid with just a bit of rust in the lower rear quarters and a couple spots on the tail panel. It has always been a Georgia car. The original 455 I soppose was long ago blown up on some back Georgia backroad, probably in the late 70's while some mullet cut Georgia Boy was drinking a Pabst and listening to The Allman Brother's Ramblin Man. The car now has a 75 400 block that hopefully will be out by next month as I continue to strip the car to rolling shell to get ready for paint and body.

Anyway, today I got the valence off which is in remarkably good condition as well as the header panel.......The bumper is soaking in "Silicroil" before I even attempt to remove it....maybe tomorrow. Anyway, just thought I would post some pics of the progress and a few of my "tiny" garage....LOL.

1974 455 Trans Am
1978 400 Trans Am
Old 01-18-2007, 08:23 PM
Senior Chief

"The original 455 I soppose was long ago blown up on some back Georgia backroad, probably in the late 70's while some mullet cut Georgia Boy was drinking a Pabst and listening to The Allman Brother's Ramblin Man"

Mark - That guy with the mullet wasn't Jay was it?? Thanks for the pictures, your "driver" looks pretty nice! Hope to see the '74 someday, keep us posted on the progress!

1970 RAIV GTO 4-speed
1974 Original owner Z-28 4-speed
2008 SRT10 Viper Very Orange (was SD TA!)
2015 Challenger Hellcat 6spd (was SD TA!)
Old 01-18-2007, 09:45 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Looking good - don't forget to take plenty of pictures so you know where everything goes come reassembly time. I armed my son with a digital camera, two cans of PB Blaster and a socket set with a power bar. Him and two of his buddies had the doors and walk-off dismantled in a day, and they loved every minute of it .

1974 Trans Am, 400 4-speed, 3.42 rear.

Old 01-18-2007, 09:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Dick:

Jay doesn't drink Pabst. I bet he had a mullet though.

Mark:

What are you going to do for an engine in that beast? Have fun or keep it stock? If you need help with it feel free to give me a call. I'd love to put something together for you. I even know what color to paint it!

BTW: That stroller thing is awful close to the 1/4 on that black 78.

2012 SRT8 Charger - 12.70 @ 111mph
Old 01-18-2007, 10:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A little every day, bud. That's all it takes.

As for Jay, I've met him. No mullet but that Mohawk is scary.

Old 01-18-2007, 11:06 PM
Senior Chief

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdutybob
Dick:

Jay doesn't drink Pabst. I bet he had a mullet though.

Mark:

What are you going to do for an engine in that beast? Have fun or keep it stock? If you need help with it feel free to give me a call. I'd love to put something together for you. I even know what color to paint it!

BTW: That stroller thing is awful close to the 1/4 on that black 78.
Hey Bob, I don't have a definite plan on the motor right now. Since it is obviously somewhat down the line. I do have a local Pontiac buddy that told me he has what he believes is a 74 code 455 motor in storage, but I haven't looked at it first hand. I want to have some fun with it, but nothing too drastic. I am kinda leaning toward installing a Tremec manual transmission and I would like to make some suspension upgrades as well,again nothing drastic, probably just poly bushions, Koni shocks, WS6 leafs and rear sway bars. Maybe 3:23....3:42

When time for the motor comes, I will be hitting you and Jay up for advice. I really don't want to race it....As I would surely kill myself and leave my children fatherless.....Man this is fun just talking about it!!!!!

1974 455 Trans Am
1978 400 Trans Am
Old 01-19-2007, 09:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

With the 5-speed I'd go with at least the 3.42 gears.

Old 01-19-2007, 11:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Bob/Dick,

This was the height of my Mulletdom (88'-89). Back then though the beer of choice was Michelob Light. I swapped to Coors Light in the mid 90's............

No dirt roads though for big blue then or now.

Mark,

During disassembly for fasteners and small parts I have always gone with solo or plastic cups(sharpie labeled) to make it easier. Especially if I know that it will be awhile before I get it back together.I also put the cups in liquor boxes(with the dividers) for storage so nothing gets mixed up.Use labeled freezer bags for what will not fit in the cups. Sounds simple but organization is key.

Now also is a great time to buy a inexpensive($150.00) stand up blast box off the internet. Northern tool will have the glass bead by the bucket. There is no better way to clean parts. Be sure to seal the blast box well or your garage will look like my basement....sandy like a neglected beach house.

The blast box was easily the best money that I spent on my project....

Hey, love the posters..especially the Harry Gant one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SCAN0008.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	79581  

Nothing is impossible if you break it down into possibilities. It's all a matter of "Want to".
Old 01-19-2007, 11:48 AM
Senior Chief

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qikta
During disassembly for fasteners and small parts I have always gone with solo or plastic cups(sharpie labeled) to make it easier. Especially if I know that it will be awhile before I get it back together.I also put the cups in liquor boxes(with the dividers) for storage so nothing gets mixed up.Use labeled freezer bags for what will not fit in the cups. Sounds simple but organization is key.

Now also is a great time to buy a inexpensive($150.00) stand up blast box off the internet. Northern tool will have the glass bead by the bucket. There is no better way to clean parts. Be sure to seal the blast box well or your garage will look like my basement....sandy like a neglected beach house.

The blast box was easily the best money that I spent on my project....

Hey, love the posters..especially the Harry Gant one.
Yea Jay...I have been bagging and labeling everything, because it may well be along time before it gets back on the car. Even if I replance with new nuts,bolts, fasteners....you still need old for reference....Real good idea about the divider boxes and cups. I hoard boxes at work. We have a blast cabinet at work I hope to use, but boss says I will have to order the media other than sand....But I may look into one myself...like you said.

Yea I was a huge Harry Gant fan back in the day...believe it or not I was in his fan club for 10 years and back in 1989 I won a fan club art contest and 1st prize was a week in Harry Gant's personal condo in Myrtle Beach S.C.........That was a blast, and a cool thing was that the owner of the condo previous to Harry Gant was none other than Mr. Burt Reynolds. If you remember Harry's team was owned by Burt Reynolds and Hal Needham and Harry had purchased the condo from him.........and yes folks that was my 15 minutes.

1974 455 Trans Am
1978 400 Trans Am
Old 01-19-2007, 04:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Mark,

I was completely into Harry Gant for awhile myself. That connection from Nascar to Trans Ams was always there with Burt,Hal and Harry.

I remember when Harry made the swap from Olds to Chevrolet how mad he got when Chevy did not give him a new car like Olds did every year.Also the string of 4 or 5 short track wins in a row during the early 90's. No one knew that they had built their short track cars rear ends with positive camber until after all the wins. I think its outlawed now.

Few know also that Burt and Hal started the cool semi-haulers with huge sponsor logos and crew amenities. They left their Hollywood touch on NASCAR.

Nothing is impossible if you break it down into possibilities. It's all a matter of "Want to".
Old 01-19-2007, 10:11 PM
Senior Chief

Cool

Quote:
Mark,

I was completely into Harry Gant for awhile myself. That connection from Nascar to Trans Ams was always there with Burt,Hal and Harry.

I remember when Harry made the swap from Olds to Chevrolet how mad he got when Chevy did not give him a new car like Olds did every year.Also the string of 4 or 5 short track wins in a row during the early 90's. No one knew that they had built their short track cars rear ends with positive camber until after all the wins. I think its outlawed now.

Few know also that Burt and Hal started the cool semi-haulers with huge sponsor logos and crew amenities. They left their Hollywood touch on NASCAR.
Yea Jay, Harry Gant was my man. I met him several times and although I got rid of most of my NASCAR stuff I still have a ton of Harry Gant stuff. I even have the front end of one of his Skoal Bandit Lumina's from his last season on my garage wall that is autographed......You are right, Burt and Hal were the first team to introduce fancy haulers and the whole "Show Car" aspect of the sport. I remember the 1991 season well, 4 wins in a row, 6 if you count 2 Busch races....yep the whole camber setup. He almost made it 5 if not for a .10 cent o-ring and he wound up finishing 2nd to Dale........

Anyway...I got my front bumper off today, Man that sucker is heavy.

1974 455 Trans Am
1978 400 Trans Am
Old 01-20-2007, 12:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Wasn't it North Wilkesboro or Martinsville where he would have gotten his 5th in a row if it wasnt for losing his brakes late in the race?

If it wasnt for Harry... Bill Elliott would have dominated that year with Junior Johnson power.... 1991 seems like it was only a year or so ago....

Do you remember losing JD McDuffie in Watkins Glen late that year? The dude would run in Cup with USED parts.Too bad that cost him his life......

Old 01-20-2007, 10:26 AM
Senior Chief

Cool

Quote:
Wasn't it North Wilkesboro or Martinsville where he would have gotten his 5th in a row if it wasnt for losing his brakes late in the race?

If it wasnt for Harry... Bill Elliott would have dominated that year with Junior Johnson power.... 1991 seems like it was only a year or so ago....

Do you remember losing JD McDuffie in Watkins Glen late that year? The dude would run in Cup with USED parts.Too bad that cost him his life......
I remember that well Jay, It was a brutal hit. I remember going to Atlanta in the mid 80's as a teenager with my dad and the other teams with there fancy haulers.....and I remember seeing J.D. McDuffie with a big cigar in his mouth unloading his brown and blue #70 off and old late 60's Chevy Rollback........Those were great day's of racing.....I still watch certain races, but not like I used too....It's way to corporate for me now and the characters of the sport with the exception of a few are pretty dull.......Not sure what makes sponsors think that to drive a race car you must look like and abercrombie fitch model.......

1974 455 Trans Am
1978 400 Trans Am
Old 01-20-2007, 11:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74TransAm
I remember that well Jay, It was a brutal hit. I remember going to Atlanta in the mid 80's as a teenager with my dad and the other teams with there fancy haulers.....and I remember seeing J.D. McDuffie with a big cigar in his mouth unloading his brown and blue #70 off and old late 60's Chevy Rollback..
To me getting into the garage area and pit road was the ultimate.Now it would be impossible but in the late 80's a buddy and I simply climbed a fence behind a hauler and we were in. There were badges then but rarely checked.You just kept it low key to stay in as long as possible.Many actors/TV personalities would be there. Grizzley Adams,Rick Flair,Paul Newman,Smokey Yunick you never knew what or who you might see.

The fall 89' race was the most eventful for me in the Atlanta garage area. Grant Adcox had hit the wall late in the race... They brought his car into the garage on a roll back right where a buddy and I were standing..the roof peeled back. What looked odd though was the seat of the car was sitting to one side and there was blood spatter on the ceiling of the car.

We found out later that Grant had died mainly because his seat came loose from the floor on impact. We got tossed shortly after that. Went back into the stands to see Rusty celebrate his Championship and jump all over his car.

Old 01-20-2007, 09:38 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
To me getting into the garage area and pit road was the ultimate.Now it would be impossible but in the late 80's a buddy and I simply climbed a fence behind a hauler and we were in. There were badges then but rarely checked.You just kept it low key to stay in as long as possible.Many actors/TV personalities would be there. Grizzley Adams,Rick Flair,Paul Newman,Smokey Yunick you never knew what or who you might see.

The fall 89' race was the most eventful for me in the Atlanta garage area. Grant Adcox had hit the wall late in the race... They brought his car into the garage on a roll back right where a buddy and I were standing..the roof peeled back. What looked odd though was the seat of the car was sitting to one side and there was blood spatter on the ceiling of the car.

We found out later that Grant had died mainly because his seat came loose from the floor on impact. We got tossed shortly after that. Went back into the stands to see Rusty celebrate his Championship and jump all over his car.
Yep Jay...I was there at that race...I remember when Grant Adcox got killed, on any other day it was a simple brush with the wall, but I remember hearing about the seat coming loose. I probably didn't miss an Atlanta race from 1982 until about 1998, but I haven't been maybe 4 times since. I even went to the 1986 "The Winston" the one year they had it somewhere other than Charlotte.

1974 455 Trans Am
1978 400 Trans Am
Old 01-24-2007, 12:55 AM
Senior Chief

... like the #20 decal on the bottom of the poster!!!!!!