Old 02-23-2007, 09:30 PM

Default UNDER SEAT SPEAKERS

Has anyone tried the undercoverIIspeakers from Custom Auto Sounds? These speakers fit under the bucket seats...I'm considering getting a pair and was hoping for some feedback on them...thanks
"pete"
UNDERCOVER II Upgrade Speaker Enclosures
Want a little more from your hidden speaker system? This is it! We have developed the UNDERCOVERII with an 8" woofer and 2 Piezo tweeters in each box. This system can be mounted in many of the same locations as the regular UNDERCOVER. With the 8" woofer in UNDERCOVERII you get a much fuller deeper sound. These are a great addition to our Concours series radios with their 200 watt capacity. Sold as (pair). Measure 11"W x 12.5"D x 3"H

Last edited by SUGAGOAT; 02-24-2007 at 02:01 AM.
Old 02-26-2007, 04:33 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I just put a set in my 67 GTO. They put out good sound, but of course it sound muffled under the seat. I have mine sticking out the front about 6 inches.
Pioneer makes a set that will sit on the package shelf. They are called
TS-X200. I like both because you do not have to cut holes anywhere.

Old 02-26-2007, 06:02 PM

Thanks, i ordered a set of the undercover I's today...After measuring i don't think the II"s will fit under my buckets... I' ve got to go under the seat. I failed to mention mine's a convertible...Thanks again...."Pete"

Old 07-26-2007, 11:32 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUGAGOAT
Thanks, i ordered a set of the undercover I's today...After measuring i don't think the II"s will fit under my buckets... I' ve got to go under the seat. I failed to mention mine's a convertible...Thanks again...."Pete"
Just looking at the dimensions, it is almost a square foot and 3"s high.

I am also concidering these for my convertible also. let us know where you install them and how they sound.

Old 07-26-2007, 11:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to YVEYANT

My car came with speaker boxes mounted under the dash. The enclosures are custom made. You could use van speakers to do the same thing being that they come in their own small box and have great sound/bass quality.

Ant
1967 Pontiac Tempest, GTO-Inspired

"What's so special about having Italian food cooked by a bunch of friggin Mexicans"
Paulie-
Rocky Balboa

"Your heart is free, have the courage to follow it"
Braveheart

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...Wm0SlqN030.jpg
Old 07-26-2007, 11:49 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by YVEYANT
My car came with speaker boxes mounted under the dash. The enclosures are custom made. You could use van speakers to do the same thing being that they come in their own small box and have great sound/bass quality.
I would be very interested in seeing pictures of that..Sounds like a good alternative!

Old 07-26-2007, 11:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I will try to get some photos of them this weekend. I would still recommend saving yourself the trouble and getting van speakers and putting them under the dash tilted toward the seat not facing the floor for better sound. You can get a set on Ebay cheap, Ford made some great van speakers to give you a target of what to look for.

Ant

"What's so special about having Italian food cooked by a bunch of friggin Mexicans"
Paulie-
Rocky Balboa

Braveheart

Old 07-27-2007, 07:32 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
I will try to get some photos of them this weekend. I would still recommend saving yourself the trouble and getting van speakers and putting them under the dash tilted toward the seat not facing the floor for better sound. You can get a set on Ebay cheap, Ford made some great van speakers to give you a target of what to look for.
I searched all over EBay..Can't seem to find any. Any sugestions?

Old 07-27-2007, 12:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-New-6x9-Ford-A...QQcmdZViewItem

Here you go, Ten bucks, buy it now, and these were the speakers I was talking about.

Ant

Paulie-
Rocky Balboa

Braveheart

Old 07-28-2007, 01:51 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
http://cgi.ebay.com/2-New-6x9-Ford-A...QQcmdZViewItem

Here you go, Ten bucks, buy it now, and these were the speakers I was talking about.
Those speakers aren't enclosed units..Just speakers and grilles

Old 07-28-2007, 08:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I saw that, but those are the speakers, try to get in contact with the seller, for ten bucks it is no big investment and you can always make thin wooden boxes yourself with a little patience and creativity.

Ant

Paulie-
Rocky Balboa

Braveheart

Old 07-29-2007, 08:19 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
I saw that, but those are the speakers, try to get in contact with the seller, for ten bucks it is no big investment and you can always make thin wooden boxes yourself with a little patience and creativity.

Old 07-29-2007, 10:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Get in contact with the seller, he might have the boxes that go with the speakers..

Ant

Paulie-
Rocky Balboa

Braveheart

Old 07-29-2007, 11:37 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjscerbo
Just looking at the dimensions, it is almost a square foot and 3"s high.

I am also concidering these for my convertible also. let us know where you install them and how they sound.
Let me know if you do get these - I have a 67 Lemans convertible and was looking at them as well for under the seat. I already have some smaller stereo speakers in the kick panels, but this would be nice to try and get some sound out with the top down...

Old 07-30-2007, 07:11 AM

I INSTALLED THE UNDERCOVER SPAKERS ON MY 66 GTO VERT AND I'M VERY HAPPY WITH THEM..CUSTOM AUTO SOUNDS OFFERS THE UNDERCOVER SPEAKERS AND ALSO THE UNDERCOVER II'S...THE UNDERCOVER II'S ARE TOO BIG FOR THE BUCKET SEATS.. I HAD TO GRIND THE SEAT RAILS DOWN A LITTLE IN ORDER TO ACCOMADATE THE SPEAKERS WHICH WAS NO BIG DEAL. THEY FIT SNUG AND SO I REMOVED THE SCREWS SECURING THEM TO THE FLOOR. THIS WAY IF I WANT I CAN PULL THEM OUT ABOUT 6 INCHES FOR A FULLER SOUND ON A LONG TRIP..I ALSO INSTALLED KICKPANELS WITH 6 1/2 INCH SPEAKERS. THE RADIO IS AN EXACT REPRO OF THE ORIGINAL RADIO BUT ITS DIGITAL AND HAS RCA PLUGS IN THE BACK . I HAVE AN IPOD PLUGGED INTO THEM WHICH HOLDS UP TO 2000 SONGS. ITS GREAT TO PULL INTO A CAR SHOW WITH LITTLE GTO PLAYING BY JUST CLICKING THE IPOD...THE RADIO WAS $600.. EXPENSIVE BUT WELL WORTH IT...."PETE"

Old 07-30-2007, 10:32 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUGAGOAT
I INSTALLED THE UNDERCOVER SPAKERS ON MY 66 GTO VERT AND I'M VERY HAPPY WITH THEM..CUSTOM AUTO SOUNDS OFFERS THE UNDERCOVER SPEAKERS AND ALSO THE UNDERCOVER II'S...THE UNDERCOVER II'S ARE TOO BIG FOR THE BUCKET SEATS.. I HAD TO GRIND THE SEAT RAILS DOWN A LITTLE IN ORDER TO ACCOMADATE THE SPEAKERS WHICH WAS NO BIG DEAL. THEY FIT SNUG AND SO I REMOVED THE SCREWS SECURING THEM TO THE FLOOR. THIS WAY IF I WANT I CAN PULL THEM OUT ABOUT 6 INCHES FOR A FULLER SOUND ON A LONG TRIP..I ALSO INSTALLED KICKPANELS WITH 6 1/2 INCH SPEAKERS. THE RADIO IS AN EXACT REPRO OF THE ORIGINAL RADIO BUT ITS DIGITAL AND HAS RCA PLUGS IN THE BACK . I HAVE AN IPOD PLUGGED INTO THEM WHICH HOLDS UP TO 2000 SONGS. ITS GREAT TO PULL INTO A CAR SHOW WITH LITTLE GTO PLAYING BY JUST CLICKING THE IPOD...THE RADIO WAS $600.. EXPENSIVE BUT WELL WORTH IT...."PETE"

I know the repro radio that you speak of. It is a nice piece, but in my opinion, overpriced. Custom Autosound came out with an exact duplicate radio for the 64-66 Mustang (USA-66). Priced fairly at around $250.00. I am hoping they will come out with one for the early GTO's as well..$600.00 seems way too much for me.

How is the bass from those undercover speakers?

I am toying around with an idea of a headrest with a 6X9 speaker that wil slip into the rear seat back. They would face forward with the top down and fold back with the top up. Outside of them not being a "Stealth" setup, I see potential here..What do you think?

Old 07-30-2007, 10:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Sounds to close, you want to hear the music, not drown in it. That would certainly bring new meaning to feeling the music, lol

Ant

Paulie-
Rocky Balboa

Braveheart

Old 07-30-2007, 07:07 PM

The radio is highpriced but to me it was worth it. Its an exact duplicate to the original...I bought the radio that custom auto sound offers . It was a real cheap looking piece of crap...it came with an aluminum filler plate to make up for it not fitting properly in the dash...I wound up selling it on ebay...its like anything else "You get what you pay for"

Old 08-01-2007, 12:04 AM
Senior Chief

If you search on the forum there are people who will rebuild your old radio (electronics don't age well, especially electrolytic capacitors) to new or replace the guts of your old with digital new (buy an old one and keep the original stock).

I opted to go with an Alpine head unit with an iPod dock. it fits underneath in an 8 track/console gauge that was color matched (not stock) but looks good. I guess I could have hidden it in the glovebox for total stealth, but since the holder was already there, figured why not. The Alpine unit lets you control/access everything on the iPod, so it can stay in the glovebox and you never need to touch it. I've got 10,000 songs on tap (good for those long LA to Oakland drives which I did last weekend) or with the kids in the back.

I had a Y antenna adapter made so both the original AM and the new Alpine get the antenna feed.

Speakers are Alpine as well in the kick panels, but after reading below I'm going with the under seat speakers as rear speakers and then blend the front/back. I'm looking forward to it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01913.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	99870   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01915.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	99871   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01919.jpg
Views:	63