Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 05-17-2007, 02:02 AM
Senior Chief

I'm running PTF upper arms & stock lower arms with the GW bushings. QA1 coilovers, too. Awesome setup. PTF gear is top notch. The only reason I didn't go with their lower arms was that I had already bought the Delalum bushings for my stock lower arms & didn't have the budget for new lowers.

I was running stock springs & bilsteins, and poly bushings on both upper/lower arms. Poly bushings were crap. Period. Don't even waste a thought on them. Solids are the way to go. My car never handled so well before... oh, it's a 75 Trans Am

Old 05-21-2007, 06:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a 1978 Trans Am and am running stock W72 springs, a Herb Adams 1.31" chromoly front swaybar (with spherical rod ends), a Hellwig 1" rear sway bar, Energy Suspension polyurethane front and rear sway bar mounts, Koni shocks, and Pro-touring F-body solid aluminum subframe mounts. The ride is a bit harsh, but I can soften the ride by turning the Koni shocks down a bit (just a note, 1/2 of the max setting is a good starting point). I still have many more suspension mods to go (tubular control arms, Global West solid bushings, composite rear springs, and a front mono-spring, etc.). If I could change anything, it would be the Koni shocks. The shocks are top notch, but having to remove the shocks to make adjustments is a pain in the rear. I'll probable go with a set of QA1 aluminum shocks later which have adjustment knobs on the sides. As far as handling, the car's limits are well above what I'm willing to push it to right now. I just finished a 3 year restoration on the car, so I'm still reluctant to push it to the limits just yet. However, compared to my old 1982 Corvette, my Trans Am handles much better.

Old 05-21-2007, 10:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro-tour79
WILL I don't want to pick on you but checked out our shackles they are made of 3/8 steel and whether the bolt is welded on or not will not ad to the strength it only makes it hard to install also solid aluminum leaf spring bushings is a no no, leaf springs must be able to camber as the car leans in turns or goes up drive ways or on rough surfaces and to prove my point even Global west has come up with a pivot type bushing system, they call it CAT5 to deal with that problem secondly Global West also does not recommend a rear sway bar with their Del-a-lum leaf spring bushings because they keep the springs from cambering properly but they tell you that it's a benefit of their bushing well that's B.S. the reason is that the bushings bind and add greatly to the spring rate and loads the suspension and than rapidly unloads. our shackles are a combo of rubber bushings to still allow the leafs to camber and poly bushings to ad rigidity without the cost of the CAT5 system (it will eat up his entire budget) as for the 3 way adjustable Pro-shocks they are a well respected shock company ( in fact they manufactured for the 3 way Herb Adams shocks) and I would assume you have heard of 3 way adjustable shocks from Koni? well Pro also makes one and it's 3 different settings not some mysterious third dimension

I replaced the bushings in the rear of my car with poly, but now I want to upgrade the shackles as well. Do you sell the shackles without the bushings?

Old 05-22-2007, 07:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I do have just the shackle kit available.

Old 05-22-2007, 08:57 PM
Senior Chief

i really wish you could pay by credit card on your website. If you had that feature i would have already purchased your kit but as it is paypal is not working , they never send me the "2 small deposits" to see if they can verify my account and a money order is kinda a pita

"Like i told my last wife, I said honey i never drive faster than I can see, besides that its all in the reflexes"