Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 06-16-2007, 02:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Thanks fhummel

A little while ago I got a pm from a guy here that goes by fhummel. He invited me out (he is about 15 miles from me) to have a look at the car and do some adjusting. Well, I took him up on it today. I got to his place about 9:30 and we opened the hood. He looked around and found instantly that my choke was stuck closed. Then we found the timing way to advanced, then the kickdown was not operating and the throttle stop was not working. The plate inside the choke that moves the choke plate was rusted. He heated it up and lubed it. It works flawless. He played around with the carb and checked vacuum and it was at 22, he got the timing a 6 btdc and adjusted the carb and idle. It is night and day, no more pinging, smooth accerleration, and it has more geddy up. He seems to thing the accelerator pump is worn and I am going to pay him to rebuild it but man, this thing is like I said night and day. I love this car, I put on 55 miles and was smiling all the way back. I have to get the trans leak fixed, distributor seal replaced and have him rebuild the carb but right now it is doing great. Even with the 2.41 posi, I can stand on it from a start and hear the tires start to break loose (235-60-15) but the car launches so much better. Oh I also need new front shocks.

I guess what I have to say here is a huge thank you to fhummel. I learned so much today. More than just reading here. He made it seem much easier than it really is. He pointed out to me how it works in a very simple way. He is the reason the car hobby will never die. He took the time to show me so I can pass my knowledge down as I get older. Guys like him are a rarity in the hobby. He could have easily charged me for his time and I would have paid it. I also got to go for a ride in his 05 GTO. And if you are not a believer of that car, go drive or ride in one. I still am pumped up about that ride. Anyway, I am going to a cruise tonight with my son in my "new car" after I get some gas. It sucks more gas when you romp on it. Thanks Frank. I have met a new friend for life.

Check out my sons blog, www.driftundertheradar.com

Old 06-16-2007, 03:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've never met Frank in person, but we've passed emails back and forth over the years. He is a good guy, and he knows his Pontiacs.

Old 06-17-2007, 04:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have known Frank for years. He's a good guy and good customer of mine.

He's a real enthusiast and doesn't mind helping others. He pays attention to the details.

Glad you got some help with your problems.

thepontiacman@yahoo.com