Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 06-19-2007, 12:20 AM
Senior Chief

Default Title status question for Illinois members

I have a line on a car located in Iowa, that has a "Junking Certificate".
It's not the same as a Salvage title from what I understand.
Anyway, the car is actually in decent shape, and just needs a bit of mechanical repair, which I can do, and also the price is cheap.
The owner claims he didn't want to keep re-registering the car (needing repairs HE felt were not worth doing) so he got the title changed to "junk" status.
I have a niece that lives in Naperville, and badly needs a reliable car, but she can't afford much more than a clunker. I thought I would get this car, fix it for her, and she could pay me back later.

My question is, How hard is it to get the title reinstated to road worthy in Illinois, especialy on a vehicle imported from a different State.
I don't care if the Title says salvage or whatever on it, as long as my niece can legaly put plates on it and drive it.
Anybody had experience with this?

It's such a good deal, I wouldn't mind getting the car for myself, for a winter car or something, but I don't know what Indiana's policy is in that situation either. It's hard to get a knowledgable answer from people at the DMV.
Half of the people that work there don't know spit.

Any suggestions are appreciated.
Tom

Old 06-19-2007, 11:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Tom,

From what I understand, when the car is declared junk, thats it. No reversal. I work for an auto auction and got this information from our title department.

If she needs a reliable car, Id be happy to help as I talk to many dealers and run hundreds of cars each week through our auction. I see cars in every price range. If she needs some help, let me know. I see what I can do.