Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 05-22-2007, 02:07 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

They dont show that on their website. All it says is that they offer a 5000 mile program as well as their 2500 mile standard program.

Old 05-22-2007, 04:29 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I got that info from the agent who sold me the policy.

Story is, I bought the insurance, got the bill and it was $50 higher. I asked him why, and he said because I listed one car as 2500 mi/yr and the other car as 3000 mi/yr. I said "I have to pay $50 for only 500 more miles?" He replied "the policy dividing point is less than or more than 2500 mi/yr."

I dunno, he may have been blowing smoke.

Old 05-22-2007, 05:25 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

sounds like he may have been referring to the 5000 mile option.

Interesting in their FAQ section online.

When asked a question about damage while the car is not stored in a "Locked garage" as their policy requires, they mention leaving the car in a parking lot while shoppng for 6 hours and refer to that as not using the car as intended by the policy requirements and maybe resulting in refusal to cover you while damage while stopping for a burger is OK....

Old 05-22-2007, 07:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have Haggerty, $302 a year for 38K on my 66 GTO. They've never said anything to me about mileage either, and don't ask each year either.

Old 05-22-2007, 08:20 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

its in their policy and they could ask for an odometer reading when/if you have a claim.

Since I KNOW I will blow away any 5000 mile limit in the first 4 months of the year, I am looking hard at that stipulation.

Old 06-19-2007, 11:02 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I just sent my ins package to Grundy. 30,000.00 coverage on my 79 Trans Am was $314.00 a year-no mileage limits. You do have to keep it in a garage and not use it for a dailey driver. The reason I went with them was a guy I go to church with had them on his 69 Camaro for $30,000.00 and his car was totaled by the guy that built his engine-he was putting the final tune on it and got hit in the pass side A pillar, anyway he had his $30,000.00 check in less than 2 weeks-NO Questions asked, or at least not once he told them what happened. They didn't give him any grief over it AT ALL. It wasn't even a problem that someone else was driving it. They do have a strict rule on 25 or less though. I don't seem to have to worry about that- my car is a 4speed and kids today can't drive-em You also have to have a dailey driver car for everyone in your household that has a drivers license. David Thomas

Old 06-19-2007, 12:35 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have 20K on my TA @ $250ish/year with Grundy. Never had to fill out a yearly milage paper.

They answer my calls too.

Old 06-19-2007, 01:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have been with Hagerty for 6 years. I have not had a claim. Good professional company that has good service as far as I have had to use them. As said; you must have a daily driver insured, must keep the car in a garage, must supply photos of all of those. They will only meet the limits of your daily driver insurance.

I pay $298.00 per year for my 67 GTO Convertible valued at $33,000. No mileage limits or exclusions. They never ask for mileage nor do they verify it.. Let me explain that..

I just called her since I just received my renewal and wanted to verify a few things. I asked her the specific question regarding Mileage and stipulations after reading this thread..
She explained to me that exclusions and mileage limitations are not written into the policy, (and they are not written into mine, I just went through it carefully). Rather they handle it on a case by case basis. I asked her flat out.
"My Daily Driver is in the body shop (which it is). I'm driving my GTO to work for the next few days. Will you cover me?"
She said; "Yes we would"
"You are a long time customer with no claims. We would"
"if you were a 1 year client with 2 claims already, and you wrecked your classic car hauling a trailer full of parts, we would have issues with that kind of claim"
She went on to describe why they don't write exclusions or limitations.
"If you want to drive across the country to a car show, you just might run out of miles on a limited mileage policy. We don't wnat that to be the case."
"We dont take odometer readings"
"It's a matter of trust and reputation"
Take it for what it's worth..

I feel they are very professional. They send out a nice a newsletter, are proactive in fighting anti-classic car legislation, etc...

Work
'67 GTO Convertible "Koerner Built 413 500 hp with a Victor!.. I'll run a stock intake."
'75 Formula 400 - Daily Driver -
Running with my Home Built 455 and TH400

Details here:
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=588372

Last edited by vidguy; 06-19-2007 at 01:27 PM.
Old 06-19-2007, 03:50 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Have a question for those with Hagerty. Are your cars insured as stock or modified? Below is the definition copied and pasted directly from Hagerty's website. Reason I did not go with them is that my car and my wife's car have been "modified in a way that increases the performance..." (see below), and if I get a quote for a modified vs stock vehicle, the price more than doubles! Looking at some of the quotes posted here, it looks like the Hagerty quotes are for "stock" cars. Hagerty's definition of stock is not as liberal as some other companies. That's why I went elsewhere. Hagerty and Grundy along with others do have a very good reputation, not questioning that in any way. Just concerned about their definition of modified and how it really affects their premiums. Jim

Stock Vehicles
example

Vehicles that have NOT been modified in a way that increases the performance of and/or substantially changes the appearance of the original vehicle; fundamentally "as built by the factory" (with perhaps only minor changes, like 12 volt system instead of 6 volt). Firetrucks, Military Vehicles, and Tractors also fall into this category.

Modified Vehicles
example

Vehicles that HAVE been modified in a way that increases the performance of and/or substantially changes the appearance of the original vehicle, e.g., increase in engine horsepower, expensive custom paint job, etc. (Even later "stock" engines in earlier cars would qualify for this program). Replica vehicles would also be considered modified.

Old 06-19-2007, 04:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hagerty here..
I would call and ask them. I can't say for sure.. I'm betting Hagerty would be describing cars with blowers or tubbed "Rod" type cars?
I would guess that the modified price is still pretty cheap compared to your daily driver. What was your quote?

Work
'67 GTO Convertible "Koerner Built 413 500 hp with a Victor!.. I'll run a stock intake."
'75 Formula 400 - Daily Driver -
Running with my Home Built 455 and TH400

Details here:
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=588372
Old 06-20-2007, 09:08 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

When I filled out my paperwork for Grundy I listed mine as modified due to the header/sidepipes and Centerline rims and it was still $314.00 per year for $30,000.00 on my 79 TA.

Old 06-20-2007, 12:08 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Just completed an instant quote on Hagerty's website. Stock for my 66 GTO Convertible was $252 a year. Changed it to Modified and it was $492 a year. That's essentially double the cost. Can't do that with two musclecars currently in the family and always looking for a 3rd! Didn't have time to compare quotes on Grundy's site as they want to much info up front.

I just switched from AON (they are no longer insuring collector cars), to American Collectors. When it is time to renew next year, I will call Hagerty and Grundy and ask how liberal they are with stock vs modified. As I previously posted above from Hagerty's website, they look pretty strict, but you never know.

Has anyone talked to Hagerty or Grundy on stock vs modifed rules? Jim

Old 06-20-2007, 02:42 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest455
Ditto on Parish Heacock. They do not care about highly modified vehicles either. They just added 24 hr. roadside assistance free (up to $100) for members.
Just went with them for 2 of my cars.

A 63 vette convertible, and my 67 lemans. I got the vette valued at $35K and the lemans at $12K

The Vette I put 1000 miles per year policy on it, the lemans 6000. I may have to adjust the vette up a bit, we'll see.

Less than $300 a year for both cars combined.

Old 06-20-2007, 10:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have mine with Classic Auto Insurance. They required pictures and odometer reading. I am allowed 3,000 miles a year and have $15,000 declared value on my 65 GTnO. Cost is $161.00 a year.
I also just received free roadside assistance from them. Even covers running out of gas.