Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 06-20-2007, 08:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 4 post vs 2 post lift

I have always been a proponent of 2 posts. I found a 4 post lift sitting behind a garage all disassembled. It is 12-14k lbs at least, garage owner said he lifted rescue trucks with it.

He put it out to pasture because it needed some work and opted for new. It needs 4 new rollers. He is aksing a 1000. It is app 12' x18' posts about 6.5' high, supposed to be a Benwell.

SO..question is ....what can not be done on a 4 post?

john

Old 06-20-2007, 08:45 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Hey John,

I have a 4 post but wish I had both types! Things that are hard to do on a 4 post have to do with the wheels. Changing tires, working on brakes etc. You can get a bridge that goes across the ramps and use bottle jacks to lift the car for doing this kind of work on a 4 post. Discussion going on right now in the "Body Shop Tech" section of this forum on 2 vs 4 post lifts. Jim

Link:
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=523206

Old 06-20-2007, 06:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Tx, Ill check it out.

John

Old 06-20-2007, 08:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

John, I wouldn't waste my money on a lift that needs repair at that price. All said and done you'll probably have almost as much in it as a new 9000lb. Bend-Pak and still have a worn out lift. If you could get it for next to nothing would be another story.

As you know I picked up that 2 post from Bruce this spring but it was a simple bolt together and go. It is soooo awesome to have it for working on the cars. The entire bottom is fully accessable with no ramps in the way. I've already used it in the course of swapping motors, trannys, steering box, exhaust systems and of course tires. All that and I use it so I can store more cars than I have available garage bays.

To put it simply- if you're getting the lift more for working on the car get a 2 post. If more for storage go for the 4 post.

1979 Trans Am 400, 4-speed, 4 wheel disc.

View from the drivers seat racing down Atco Raceway- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhYDMdOEC7A

Ride along in the other lane-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIzgpLtF_uw
Old 06-21-2007, 07:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Jeremy-

I thought a 1000 was high after having the owner say it had been apart for several years.

My intention would be working not storing.

John

Old 06-21-2007, 08:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponjohn
Jeremy-

I thought a 1000 was high after having the owner say it had been apart for several years.

My intention would be working not storing.

John
Get a two post !! The ramps become a obstacle and a source of noggin bumping...
If going new....check out a asymetrical(?) one....save your doors
I have a BendPac 9K two post...love it !!!!
JMO

ECM member.
2008 Outlaw Pontiac Drag Series Champion
MANDRA
Do it now fool! Life is short.

69 Grand Prix/3163lbs / IAII 535 w/ Tiger heads by Gaydosh....9.35@ 144 so far.. through mufflers. 1.26 60'.
Going back to track with pump gas engine....
My 60 Ventura retired to street/strip duty..
Old 06-22-2007, 03:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: The ObamaNation we once called the United States of America

Yeah........go with a 2 post if your using it for work rather than storage, you will be happier.

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security deserves neither and will loose both."-Benjamin Franklin
Old 06-22-2007, 04:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you intend to work on cars a 2 post if you want to store a car and stack one above another then a 4 post might be the way to go.