Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 06-22-2007, 12:26 PM
Suspended

AS I read this there is a banner at the bottom of the page for a mosquito magnet type of device.

Old 06-22-2007, 03:09 PM

Send a message via AIM to David Holmberg

There is a good article in this months issue of The Family Handyman.

Citronella candles are worthless.
Outdoor foggers will reduce the numbers, but they will return very soon if not used on a frequent basis.
Spraying Garlic doesn't help.
Bug zappers kill thousands of bugs, but not many mosquito's. In fact, they kill most of the bugs that eat mosquito's.
Propane traps will capture many mosquito's, but only a small fraction of the total amount.
Ultrasonic units have no effect at all.
Bat and Purple Martin houses look great, but they rarely feed on mosquito's.

Tips:
Prune hedges, reduce shade areas, remove standing water and run a fan at ground level during outdoor events.

Old 06-22-2007, 05:23 PM

i really dont think the mosquito magnet makes a big difference, it has to help. i also have that fogger and did not have very good results, as soon as smoke cleared the bugs returned, although i did not spray every day like posted above. As i posted earlier the yard spray with garden hose worked the best for us. and better yet the drought we have had the last couple years helped most

Old 06-22-2007, 06:50 PM
Senior Chief

If you have athletes foot, you need to apply Lamasil every day until the problem is resolved or the symptoms subside. Applying it once a week, every week will do absolutely nothing.

After 20 plus years of running a commercial contracted fogger as a side job, the best and only way is widespread, thorough and weekly, sometimes bi-weekly fogging.

NOTHING is ever an easy solution in any problem. Persistance, knowledge and patience is.

Go with the fogger and talk to your neighbors on the plan and allow them to chip in for the insecticide and use of it. They will be happy, as mine have for taking care of such a nuisance.

You can also use lightweight mineral oil as found in drug stores and put it in a pump up sprayer and spray the water surfaces of stagnent water. This will suffocate the larvae and is non toxic to fish.

Old 06-25-2007, 05:08 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I see a lot of the mosquito magnets for sale at garage sales for arounf $100-150. My feeling is, if they worked why sell them.